turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I add another tax return after filing one

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

@ mattygharmon  wrote:  "Can I add another tax return after filing one?"

Please explain what "add another tax return" means.  What are you doing?   Are you needing to file another complete tax return for another person?   You cannot file a second return for yourself to add additional information.

Some people in this forum use the term "return" incorrectly.   Are you needing to file another form showing additional income of your own that you received after already filing a tax return?     Or are you indeed needing to prepare a complete new tax return for another person?

I had already filed for this job I have now, but I want to know if I can file another another one that just came A couple days ago. I had worked for a go calendar’s Store, and they just sent me that tax return 

@ mattygharmon wrote:

I had already filed for this job I have now, but I want to know if I can file another another one that just came A couple days ago. I had worked for a go calendar’s Store, and they just sent me that tax return 

Forms like W-2's, 1099's, etc. are not called "returns".   A return is the complete submission of all the info that you provide to the IRS.  The store sent you a tax information form so that you can use it to prepare your return.

So you appear to be saying that you have already efiled your 2020 tax return, but that it is incorrect because it did not include a tax form (such as a W-2) that you received after you filed.

If so, when you log into Online TurboTax and look at the Tax Home it should show that your efiled return has a status of "pending."   Since you already efiled your 2020 return, there is nothing you can do until you find out if the IRS either accepts or rejects the efiled return.   Unfortunately, due to late tax law changes the IRS will not even open up to start processing until February 12, 2021, except for a few returns they pull early for testing purposes. In the meantime the return will sit on TurboTax servers with a "pending" status but cannot be retrieved to cancel or correct. So unless yours is one of the very few returns pulled early by the IRS, you won't know anything until February 12 or soon thereafter.

Once you learn if your original return is accepted or rejected, then you'll know what to do to add the additional income form you received.    If you are lucky, your original return will be rejected, since that's the easiest to fix.  If rejected, you just make the corrections, add the additional income form, and resubmit.

If your original 2020 return is accepted, however, then it's a bigger problem.   The only way to correct an accepted return is to prepare and file an amended return Form 1040X to add the additional income, etc.

So in the meantime do NOT make any changes in your return until you find out if it's accepted or rejected by the IRS.    If you end up having to prepare an amended return, it has to start out exactly as it was when originally filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies