turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Did you check on where’s my amended return? If it’s not there you should try calling the irs  and she what is going on. I have two amended returns. I keep looking everyday if it was processed. It just says received. If you also get your tax transcript it will show up on there too. 

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Did isn't true because mine got done by a professional tax preparer and mine got sent out july 7 and it still doesn't show on the where's my amended return.

@Angelcake80 Paid preparer or do-it-yourself----your amended return is in the same pipeline as everyone else's.  Using a paid preparer does not put you ahead in the line.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have tried this multiple times and when it gets to the end it says it has high volume of calls then it hangs it up.

You hand to call at 7am on the nose or at the very end of the day right before they close.  They have the same information as the website.  I was told last week that it is taking 10 months or more for them to see it in their system. That doesn't mean that it hasn't been scanned in,  only that it hasn't been worked. That's their story. 

I’m having the same problem my 2020 amendment return was done electronically June 17th it’s still telling me they can’t provide me with no information it sucks 

@Santana3 Have you read anything in this thread?   It takes at least six months or longer for the IRS to process amended returns.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I did read it actually but anyways I don’t think it should take that long for them to do their job either. People been waiting forever only for them to say they ain’t got enough workers. And keep blaming corona mines got rejected so I got to do another amended return.

That's not always true. That's what they are being told to say.  That's what an agent told me. No one knows what's going on at the IRS. That's what should be in this thread.  

Mz Miree
Returning Member

I’m having the same issue, I sent in an amended return for some school paperwork that was sent to me after I had already filed, on March 12 I sent in my amended tax return and I still haven’t heard anything nor has anything been processed. The website doesn’t give me any information but they received it May 12 and that just recently noted that information on last week

@Mz Miree

Colacola06
Returning Member

My amended return has been adjusted on 8/20/21 and completed 9/10/21 but i still have not recieved a notice or refund. Anybody have any insight? I have tried calling and cant get ahold of anybody. It says by 9/10/21 i should of recieved my refund and notice. 

I filed an admend on March 16 2021 and it was adjusted on July 16 2021 I was supposed to receive a letter by August 6 nothing I am still waiting is been 6 mths 7day like wth

Colacola06
Returning Member

Mine hasn't been that long but i am in the same boat. I am due a refund from my amended taxes and mine was adjusted 08/20/21 and suppose to have a refund and notice buy 9/10/21 and states it is completed but i have not recieved anything, on my tax transcripts its not showing adjusted either. Now i am wondering what is up, and no way to get ahold of anybody at the irs its like they just simply stopped taking calls for anything.  

@Colacola06 wrote:

Mine hasn't been that long but i am in the same boat. I am due a refund from my amended taxes and mine was adjusted 08/20/21 and suppose to have a refund and notice buy 9/10/21 and states it is completed but i have not recieved anything, on my tax transcripts its not showing adjusted either. Now i am wondering what is up, and no way to get ahold of anybody at the irs its like they just simply stopped taking calls for anything.  

I realize this is anecdotal, but I called the IRS a few days ago and found that for me it was best to call just before closing time--about 6:58 PM and quickly go through the steps below.  I figured a lot of folks would not call that close to closing, and that if I was one of the last to get into the queue, they would finish off all the people who were in the queue at closing time.   And luckily, my hunch worked for me.  Still had to wait about 25 minutes on hold.     Some users have said they managed to get in by phoning when the IRS first opened in the morning at 7 AM, but I assumed there would be a big rush to get in at that time.    Obviously there is also a big luck factor involved.

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you have no luck reaching the IRS, or don't get satisfactory information, you can try contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.    They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.    If the Taxpayer Advocate can't/won't help you, ask them to transfer you to an an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that at least for them, that was a backdoor route to the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies