turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are the downloadable PDF forms the actual documents sent to the IRS?

I'm thinking I already know the answer and that the forms that are accessible, downloadable, and printable within the TurboTax account after filing are not actual field-for-field copies of what is sent to the IRS electronically, but wanted to ask to make sure.

In my personal case, I'm wondering specifically about the bank account information. I chose to have my refund direct deposited, but to have the fees taken out of the refund, so the deposit goes to the SBTPG. I understand that much. However, when I download the PDF of my 1040 it shows my personal bank routing/account numbers on line 21. 

Does TurboTax actually change this line to reflect the SBTPG routing/account number or is there an additional form/worksheet that TurboTax files along with my 1040 that directs the IRS to deposit the refund into the SBTPG account? Basically, if line 21 is showing my bank info in the PDFs, how does the IRS know to send the refund through SBTPG?

Second question -- if TurboTax is sending an altered 1040 to the IRS, how do I obtain a copy of these altered forms or additional worksheet(s)? I would like my personal printed and filed copies to be a field-by-field, page-by-page, carbon copy of what the IRS received so that I have a true history and know what was sent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

No, TurboTax does not physically alter your 1040.  Your bank account and routing information is correctly reflected on Line 21 of your 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Then how does the IRS know to send the refund through SBTPG so they can deduct the fees?

Yes, I have the same question? 

Not only did this intermediary bank botch out return dates but it now appears they may have sadly botched our stimulus payments.  This is bad for business turbotax.  I may just have to take my business elsewhere. Twice in one year does it for me. Filed through turbotax 7 straight years with no issues until this year. What a shame.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

SBTPG has nothing to do with your stimulus checks. Your stimulus payment will be deposited to the bank account listed on your Turbo Tax return. Select https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments  and select the get my payment option to review your refund status. Keep checking back in this site to review your payment status because the IRS has not activated this feature yet as of today 04/14.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The app doesn't launch until April 17th, and this link is what I am referring to https://www.sbtpg.com/coronavirus-stimulus-payment-info/

Why can no one at TurboTax just answer the questions asked in a direct manner?

1) Is the 1040 downloadable in TurboTax the exact copy of the one the IRS received including line 21?

2) If the answer to #1 is yes, how does the IRS know to send the tax REFUND to SBTPG bank to have the fees taken out?

Im not asking any specific details that would require knowledge of my return or how it was filed, only questions about your software and what you send to the IRS. 

These are simple questions. If you can’t answer something as simple as this I don’t know that I can feel confident using and recommending your software any longer. 

The feature to check your status is up and running now on the irs website. I was supposed to get my payment today. Still nothing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies