turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

April 2019 TT Said I Owed $1800 Federal but Now after all updates says I owe only $1178

Does this make sense to anyone?  I actually made a copy of the TT file and the original said my FED burden was ZERO vs $1800 in april.  Then I opened my backup and that one said I owed $1178 vs $1800 in April.  I'm freaking out here.  What could have happened to the files?  And I'm NOT getting any corruption errors/warnings. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

April 2019 TT Said I Owed $1800 Federal but Now after all updates says I owe only $1178

Did you make a payment with the extension?  Or say you would?  Check schedule 5 line 71.  Maybe it thinks you paid one.

There was also this......

If you filed early and had Schedule D for investments or sales in your return the IRS had an update.

IRS info on Schedule D changes (after May 15, 2019)

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/error-in-tax-calculation-in-schedule-d-tax-worksheet-form-1040

No, I paid the amts due based on TT in April in full to both Fed and State.  YES! I have a sched D - do you thinik that affected my taxes by the amts listed?  I DEFINITELY have a SCHED D!!!

If your extension payment did not automatically show up on 1040 Schedule 5 line 71 which goes to 1040 line 17 you need to enter it.  So make sure it's not already there before you enter it!

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To the screen where you enter Extension Payments.

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension)  go to

Federal Taxes (or Personal for desktop H&B version)

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension

Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid

how do I go to a specific location in my tax forms? I just get guided through everything.  UGH.

If you are using the Desktop program you can switch to Forms Mode.  Click on Forms in the upper left for Mac (Right for Windows).  But don't make any overrides or you can't efile.  Then you can compare the 1040 returns and see what's different.

there's no record of my payments in April (taxes due) but you're saying don't ADD the $ I already sent (and Fed and State have already cashed my checks)

?  

I made mistake already because I added in line 71 etc the amts I already paid.  How do I fix this now? 

:I

I never said don't add it.  If it's not on your return you need to enter it.  The steps above should take you there without going though the whole return questions.

Sorry, that's not what I meant.  I meant I added the amts paid by directly entering into the Sched 5 not via your steps.  Do I need to start over again to be able to file electronically following your steps? Seems like a weird glitch that would prohibit efiling just because I entered the info this way versus that...

At any rate, I was able to still efile despite making the changes in a way different than what you recommended.  I had my fingers crossed the entire time!

There's a real glitch in the summary tables comparing diff years - it says, for example I received a refund of approx 160$ but didn't account for the fact that I paid (as part of my extension request) $1700.  So really TT should have indicated I PAID approx 1540$ and not a refund of any kind.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies