Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Apply ITIN for my wife. How long will it take ?

You can file online here: TurboTax Easy Extensions  for this only use filing status Single if you are waiting on an ITIN.  You can also mail in the form as well.  A copy of the paper form is here: IRS Form 4868

@Adeeb

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@SusanY1 I had applied ITIN for my 3 dependents and filed my Federal Returns in paper in an IRS office physically. The officer during the appointment verified my Federal returns and original documents for all 3 dependents and returned it back to us right away and said the ITIN application along with the returns will be sent to Austin, TX and we should get response from IRS. 

Now after 5 months, I got a response from IRS (Notice CP567) rejecting 2 of the 3 dependents ITIN (W7) application with a reason "you didn't include a completed and signed US federal income tax return with your application" - which I actually included.

I am confused as all the 3 dependents applications were filed together along with the Federal returns in paper. I did not get a response for 1 dependent yet, not sure if that is also rejected and the letter is on the way or it has been approved.

1. Were they expecting 3 copies of my Federal return attached to each individual ITIN application?

2. How should I proceed further - Should I respond to the letter and apply for the ITIN with all documents including the federal returns? Worried to send original documents over post in this pandemic times.

2. What happens if 1 (Spouse) application is approved and other 2 (children) is rejected? what happens to the child tax credits?

3. Are the IRS offices open and taking in-person appointments (San Jose, CA)?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Santhoz,

When did you apply for the refund? 

@roy2020  Hey Roy, I filed my Federal tax returns on paper along with the dependents ITIN application on Feb 18th 2020.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Did the IRS provide a contact number on the ITIN rejection notice?  I would call if you can and let them know about the error and ask about the other dependent.  It is possible that the applications were separated from the tax return for 2 but not the 3rd and they should be able to offer some additional advice regarding how to finalize with the forms you already submitted.   

They should also be able to locate and tie together the information from scanned images.  It sounds like an error on their part, honestly, which hopefully you can fix with a phone call.  If there is no phone number you can write to them, but there should be a number for inquiries on the letter (which will direct you to the office best able to assist you.)

@santhoz

dc-q

I filed the paper return (joint) along with the W7 ITIN application in the beginning of Feb.

A couple of days ago I received the return itslelf (via check from the IRS) and the status on the website is refunded; but I still have no ITIN information. Is it smth unusual or I guess this year everything is considered to be 'expected' and the only thing I can do is to wait? 

Also I guess that because I recieved an expected refund, the ITIN was assigned and I'm only waiting for the ITIN letter from the IRS?

Good evening, @SusanY1 . I am hoping you could also offer me a little help here, I am so worried right now.

So here's the thing. I applied for my husband's ITIN (form w-7) together with my 2019 return on Feb 26th 2020 as married filing jointly. Due to covid, received the rejection notice (dated march 30, 2020) on July 15, 2020. There was one missing information on the W-7 (name of resident alien filing jointly with the ITIN applicant, although this is already in the tax return attached). The rejection notice told me that is what's missing. So it told me to complete a new W-7 form and include only a "copy" of the tax return together with the other identity documents. IRS has already processed that return though and the refund is adjusted to the "single" status filing rate. Instead of reapplying with just a copy of the old tax return and waiting for the ITIN assignment before filing an amended return, can I just submit the W-7 reapplication form with the actual amended tax return so that when ITIN is assigned by them, the amended tax return will next be processed by IRS using that new ITIN? So as to save the time of waiting the ITIN assignment letter and only submitting an amended return at that time. Appreciate your help on this one, thanks. I really am expecting the refund especially with what happened (COVID). Thanks a lot.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can submit the W-7 with your amended tax return.   I hope this information will allow you to worry a little less!

I think your wife was approved for ITIN but not your children. The reason is that your children are not US citizen so you could not claim them for child tax credit. Therefore, you also could not apply ITINs for them for claiming child tax credit.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The children are still entitled to ITINs and to be listed as "other" dependents. 

@txhousa

Hi,

As we know that IRS processes paper returns based on the order they were received, it looks like returns filed on Feb are being processed now (based on a couple of posts in this forum). 

Anyone else who filed on a later date than Feb 18 got their returns processed? This will help us keep track of which month returns/ITIN applications are being processed currently and hopefully give us a timeline on when we can expect our returns to be processed. 

Thanks!

I sent my paperwork in March end. The tax has not been processed yet.

Thank you,

Rina 

@nihilbritto I sent my docs to Austin in the first week of March - no response yet. But based on how it is going, I might get some news on it by mid-August.

Thanks

Arun

Thanks Susan. It helped a lot. But in case I would decide on submitting just the copy of the old return should e-filing of amended returns announced by IRS will really happen before end of Summer, do we still have to sign too that "copy" of the original return? Or just a printed copy without signatures is fine? Thanks.

@akp3866 @rinagill Thanks guys for sharing! I submitted the ITin paperwork on March 5th. Still have not received the ITin letter or refund... Hopefully we get it by August... Please do keep us posted in this forum when you receive the ITin letter or refund, so that it will help others.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies