Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Apply ITIN for my wife. How long will it take ?

I guess you have applied ITIN for your wife and dependent (H4 visa). You are not eligible for the check.

This is the information i got from TAX adviser.  Its not you all the dependents who filled tax with dependence are not eligible (NON IMMIGRANTS).  

Regards,

Venkata

@SusanY1 @da38778163 Thanks for your response - I did check on the eligibility for the stimulus check and the response mostly was -  "If you are a resident for tax purposes, you will get the stimulus check irrespective of the visa classification". I am on L1 visa and my dependents are on L2 visa. 

I also personally know someone who is on L1 visa without any dependents here in the US, filed the returns using Turbotax in March 2020 and got her returns credited in 2 weeks. The Stimulus check of $1200 also got credited in April 2nd week, which confirms the above statement that visa classification doesnt matter.

Therefore I guess the only blocker for now is the ITIN number.

That information is correct, Who applied individual will get the check only dependents are not getting, You can check if any dependent who filed jointly did they get check? i check non of the friends who apply tax with dependent did not check combination of SSN+ITIN.

As Susan mentioned, none of the paper files have been processed and we have no clarity on when they will be. It's just a waiting game for now. and periodically check-in with IRS.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If your spouse has an ITIN you are not qualified for the payment unless you are active duty military, regardless of your visa status, if you filed a joint return  

If you file

If you file a return separately from your spouse, you will remain eligible.  A joint return filed with SSN+ITIN is not eligible. (for either party).

For more information, see Q23: IRS FAQs related to the Economic Impact Payment.

@santhoz

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi,

I applied ITIN for my daughter by sending her passport to Austin Center as I did not have a choice. I'm on same boat like others without any communication. I'm worried now when I will receive it back. Calling the numbers mentioned in this post was of no use as I could not get any one to talk.

Are there any updates from people who applied ITIN ?

Thanks

Krish

Hi Krish,

how long has it been since you have sent your paperwork? We are in the Same boat and very helpless. I am very worried. The deadline is coming soon for tax filling with no luck of any response on our federal tax process as well ITIN number. 

rina

When  you mailed in the W-7 with the return you were considered timely filed at that time. Once the ITIN is issued the federal return is forwarded for processing automatically and a notice is mailed to you with the ITIN.

If you still need to file a state return then put it on extension until you get the ITIN. It is as simple as that ... nothing more to worry about. 

I sent the package in third week of April. I live in NJ and the state allows to file the return by sending a copy of W-7 which was sent to IRS for federal tax return filing. 

In the turbo tax app, when I login I have a message that says 'It looks like you've already mailed in your 2019 tax return..'. Not sure if that means anything at all or should I take it as if an acknowledgement that IRS is processing.

Thanks

Krish

Hi Krish,

I spoke to IRS sometime last week and they are expecting the ITIN office to be open this week or the week after. They did understand that a lot like us are paranoid about the documents mailed in along with the ITIN/tax return.  All we know for now is that the documents are in the building, probably in the mail-room, unopened. Hope we get it soon. 

I had mailed in my kid's passport in the first week of March and I have no update ever since.

Regards,

Arun

Ok. Thanks Arun.

It's almost 6 weeks but I have not received the ITIN for my kids and there are no options available after call on IRS number to retrieve the status.

Any guidance please?

Normally this would take 8 weeks or more to process  but since the IRS was closed for almost 10 weeks this will delay things this year ... all you can do is wait patiently for the ITIN letter with the number so you can file the state return if needed.   Put the state on extension now so you have until 10/15 to file the return. 

Hi ,

I spoke to IRS yesterday and was told that it would take 9-11 weeks from now to get the ITIN processing done as most of the offices are now opening. 

Arun 

Thank you for the update.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies