Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jb1130
Returning Member

Apparent IRS Refund overpayment

Hello! I noticed that my federal refund amount is a bit higher than what I submitted through TurboTax. I filed already including the extra 10k unemployment tax break so I am not sure why it would be higher. I read some instructions in IRS site in how to return the money but did not notice the direct deposit early enough to stop it from processing. I tried calling the IRS to speak with a rep and setting an local appointment but the lines keep saying to call back the next day. What are my options? Can i pay directly in their website if it is an overpayment?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How much more is it?  They have been paying interest.  Don't send it back unless they ask for it.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The IRS will send you a letter explaining why they changed the amount of your refund. You might not get the letter until a few weeks after you got the refund. Wait until you get the letter, and see if you still think it's a mistake after you read the explanation. The letter will probably also have instructions for what to do if you think it's wrong.

jb1130
Returning Member

Thank you all for your quick responses

@VolvoGirl- it is $350 more, which is about 22% more than what I should have gotten (very small return)

@rjs- Yeah I was thinking about waiting for a letter but since I am about to move in less than 2 weeks I am concerned I might not get it. I will try to change my address today (Update - It appears that i need to do this in person or over the phone - both unavailable in the last couple of days so idk what to do too?) but was also wondering IF by any chance I needed to return this money if I could do it through the IRS website or I needed to send a physical check.

I would appreciate any additional guidance.

Thank you

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

File a change of address with the post office and have them forward your mail to your new address. You should also mail a Form 8822 Change of Address to the IRS, but it probably will not get processed before they send the letter about the refund.

It's unlikely that you will have to return any money to the IRS. In the unlikely event that you do have to, as I said, the letter will tell you what to do if you think it's wrong. If you make a payment, either online or by check, that the IRS doesn't think you owe, they are just going to send it back to you.

jb1130
Returning Member

@rjs- great idea for the address change. And will be following your advise and wait to see if there is a letter explaining the change in amount. Thank you once again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies