turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amendment to change dependent? How to file and will it affect stimulus?

A different filing service filed me as "dependent" because I am a college student.

• I have provided 100% of my own support.
  • I live alone.
  • 21 years old. Full time job. Student.
  • Verified I was not claimed by either parent.

Block is saying well, because I'm a student and a full time worker I don't qualify. I am the only one supporting myself.

On Turbotax, the e-file questionnaire shows I am not a dependent.

How do I fix this? Will I still receive a stimulus check from the IRS if I file an amendment? Should I file through the original filing or use an amendment from TurboTax?

Thank you. Please, please help me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends. Please check your Form 1040 on line 9. If it is any number other than $12,200, then you were filed as a dependent. For the stimulus payment, if the person was claimed or could be claimed as a dependent, they are not eligible.

Confirm with 2019 Publication 501 Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information  on page 4 and page 11 to determine if you are or are not qualified to be a dependent.

If you need to file an amended return, yes, TurboTax can help. Depending on your income level, you may be able to file for free. Check out this article: What's the difference between IRS Free File Program and Free Edition? to see if you qualify for the Free File program. 

Otherwise, click the link to go to the TurboTax website. Click sign in to create your account.

In either case, for instructions on how to file an amended return that was filed elsewhere, see this article with step by step instructions to convert to TurboTax for filing an amended return.

You will pay once (if applicable) for the amended return at the point of selecting paper filing (as opposed to e-filing) the original return. 

Then, trigger the amendment following the article here: How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed. I always recommend sending the return(s) via certified mail so that it is traced.

Regarding the stimulus payment, we are still waiting for IRS guidance regarding updating or providing direct deposit information for the stimulus payments and how they will be distributed to these type of accounts. We will have more information once the government finalizes the details.

In the meantime, you can visit the following links for the most recent updates:

IRS Coronavirus Tax ReliefTurboTax

Corona Virus Tax Center Updates

@corinne98the

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends. Please check your Form 1040 on line 9. If it is any number other than $12,200, then you were filed as a dependent. For the stimulus payment, if the person was claimed or could be claimed as a dependent, they are not eligible.

Confirm with 2019 Publication 501 Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information  on page 4 and page 11 to determine if you are or are not qualified to be a dependent.

If you need to file an amended return, yes, TurboTax can help. Depending on your income level, you may be able to file for free. Check out this article: What's the difference between IRS Free File Program and Free Edition? to see if you qualify for the Free File program. 

Otherwise, click the link to go to the TurboTax website. Click sign in to create your account.

In either case, for instructions on how to file an amended return that was filed elsewhere, see this article with step by step instructions to convert to TurboTax for filing an amended return.

You will pay once (if applicable) for the amended return at the point of selecting paper filing (as opposed to e-filing) the original return. 

Then, trigger the amendment following the article here: How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed. I always recommend sending the return(s) via certified mail so that it is traced.

Regarding the stimulus payment, we are still waiting for IRS guidance regarding updating or providing direct deposit information for the stimulus payments and how they will be distributed to these type of accounts. We will have more information once the government finalizes the details.

In the meantime, you can visit the following links for the most recent updates:

IRS Coronavirus Tax ReliefTurboTax

Corona Virus Tax Center Updates

@corinne98the

and if i dont qualify under either of those guidelines, yet the box was clicked? i was 24 at the end of the year last year, so cant be a child, and made 16k so not a qualifying relative

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@brendon joyce

If you selected "someone else can claim me as their dependent" on your return, then that makes it unlikely that you’ll receive a stimulus check.

This indicated to the IRS that you couldn't claim yourself on your return, and you were a dependent on someone else's return.  And if you’re a dependent of someone else, you’re not eligible for the payment.

Please note that the stimulus payment is an advance on a tax credit for the 2020 tax year.  If you indicated you were a dependent on your 2019 return, but not on your 2020 return, you will not receive a stimulus payment this year, but will receive one when you file your taxes next year. 

You can amend your 2019 tax return to change your answer, but you would not get the payment until after the return has processed.  And, according to the IRS's IRS urges taxpayers to use electronic options; outlines online assistance page, the IRS isn't currently processing mailed paper returns, and amended returns must be filed on paper and mailed.

Please see the TurboTax Help article "How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed" for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed tax return, if that’s what you decide to do.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies