turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mintcookies381005
Returning Member

Amending state tax return

Hello, when I originally filed my state return from a few years back I forgot to add that years income tax liability on form 760c, line 3.  I just amended my state return because that's all I have to add, but after amending my state return, the columns A, B, and C are blank.  Is this normal? There wasn't any change to the dollar amount from my original 1040.  Was I suppose to amend the federal part also?  Turbotax said there was no federal or state amount due after I finished.  It instructed me to mail in the 1040X and the original 1040 to the state and IRS.  Do I have to include the original 1040 with the amended 1040X with blank columns? Do I just mail it to the state? Why are the columns blank?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, that ONLY affects the state return. It is reporting the tax liability from the Federal return and that number was generated AFTER the Federal return was completed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mintcookies381005
Returning Member

The 760 line 3 tax liability is from the federal return? Why are columns A,B,C on the 1040X blank?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Columns A, B, and C are blank on Form 1040X because the amendment was for the state return, only. But, I recommend you check your entries. Form 760C is only required for underpayment penalties. If at least 100% of the prior year tax paid was paid in the potentially amended state tax year, or if 90% of the potentially amended state tax year was paid in by December 31, then this form does not apply to you and will not change any balance due to the state, 

VA Form 760C Line 3 refers to 2019 Income Tax Liability After Spouse Tax Adjustment and Tax Credits.

VA Form 760 Line 3 is a sum of Adjusted Gross Income from the federal return plus additions from VA Schedule ADJ.

VA Form Instructions Resource

Mintcookies381005
Returning Member

Do I have to mail in the amended 1040X with blank columns A,B,C to the IRS also? And include the original 1040?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Mail the original 1040 to the IRS to Virginia along with the amended Virginia return. You did not need to prepare a 1040X since there were no changes. 

Mintcookies381005
Returning Member

I'm confused to what you mean

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The columns on the 1040X are blank because there were no changes to your federal return.  You don't need to send anything to the IRS because you did not change anything on your original federal return.   Send the updated VA Form 760 to the state of Virginia.

2020 Income Tax Return Mailing Addresses and Locality Codes You may mail your income tax return to your Commissioner of the Revenue at the address in the link or directly to the Department of Taxation at the addresses listed here, see pages 51-52.

Mintcookies381005
Returning Member

Turbotax has an amended file checklist, but I misunderstood it.  It said to sign and date form 1040X, but it also said if I'm filing a state return the form is located right after the instructions sheet.  I thought it meant that I had to include the 1040X with blank A,B,C columns along with the VA 760 form, so I mailed the original 1040, 1040X and VA 760 form to the state. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Since it has already been mailed, there is nothing else that can be done. 

If the state does need further information, they will contact you by mail. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies