Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

seacat96
Returning Member

Amending a Return

I open TT and click on amend a return.  According to the instructions online, TT should ask me which return I want to amend - but it doesn't.  How do I open the necessary return I need to amend?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Amending a Return

You can only file one return per tax year per online account ...  so if you log back into your 2020 return then you can only amend the 2020 return you filed in 2021.  So what do you mean "TT should ask me which return I want to amend"?

seacat96
Returning Member

Amending a Return

I'm using a downloaded version which I purchased.  I filed 3 separate returns with it.  I need to amend one of them.  It's the premiere edition on the Mac platform

seacat96
Returning Member

Amending a Return

I'm using a downloaded version which I purchased.  I filed 3 separate returns with it.  I need to amend one of them.  It's the premiere edition on the Mac platform

seacat96
Returning Member

Amending a Return

Yep - Been thru all that.  Program still won't open the return.  Step 4 in the instructions says " Select the return you want to amend, and follow the instructions to make your changes". but a selection opportunity never occurs - it just moves into updating a return with no info in it yet.

Amending a Return

@macuser_22 

Can you help ?

Amending a Return

With TurboTax running, use the top menu bar "File -> Open Tax Return"  and locate and select the  .tax2020 file you want to open.

If you can't locate it then see:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac/01/26206

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
seacat96
Returning Member

Amending a Return

Called TT support.  As it turns out, the return in question was never finalized - as in I never checked the efile status (text messages confirmed receipt and acceptance - so why bother) and because of that the return never pulled up.  Once I completed that step - it showed up.  The devil is in the details

Amending a Return

Yes ... if the program doesn't know you actually filed the return it will not let you amend it ... this is done to keep you from making a mistake you will regret.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies