Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending 2020 Federal and State returns

I use TurboTax desktop (CD)version for my filing. I have just e-filed both  my 2020 federal and state (MD) returns, both have been accepted, and a tax refund will be coming back on both. After e-filing, I received a 1099R that was not included in the original filing. I have adjusted my return to add the 1099R in order to amend the return. The amended return will have me paying slightly more in federal tax ($51) and slightly less in state tax ($99).

I reentered my TurboTax desktop, selected amend for my return, followed the steps and received a note saying that the IRS is still working on finishing up the amended return section (Form 1040X) for 2020. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You need to put your returns back the way they were when you filed your returns. When you file a return & it has been accepted, you cannot make any changes to the returns.  The IRS suggests you wait until your original return is fully processed (refund received or payment deducted from your account)  before you amend your return. 

The amendment form will not be available until 3/25/21, you will have to wait until then to amend your return.

View solution in original post

@calimom621    You need to put your returns back the way they were when you filed your returns. When you file a return & it has been accepted, you cannot make any changes to the returns.  The IRS suggests you wait until your original return is fully processed (refund received or payment deducted from your account)  before you amend your return. 

The amendment form will not be available until 3/25/21, you will have to wait until then to amend your return.

View solution in original post

35 Replies

You need to put your returns back the way they were when you filed your returns. When you file a return & it has been accepted, you cannot make any changes to the returns.  The IRS suggests you wait until your original return is fully processed (refund received or payment deducted from your account)  before you amend your return. 

Thanks for the reply, I will delete the 1099R and set the return back to the way it was when filed.

I did the amended form process in turbo tax but when I printed my new forms the 1040 does not have the X.  What do I do.  Do I wait.  I submitted all a week ago.

@calimom621    You need to put your returns back the way they were when you filed your returns. When you file a return & it has been accepted, you cannot make any changes to the returns.  The IRS suggests you wait until your original return is fully processed (refund received or payment deducted from your account)  before you amend your return. 

Really glad this was posted, but this is a pretty basic need that has little if any exposure on the Turbo Tax web pages. Where is it posted that 3/25/2021 is the release date for the ammended forms? Why is this not on the main support page? How did you come to this information?

TurboTax does not have a guaranteed date when amend will be available.  We do expect it to be in late March.

How to Amend

@wsandman

Stribling7
Returning Member

I paid registration fees on my vehicles but answered that I did not, and then i didnt include my Drivers License number on the return for me or my husband.  Will that effect any credit I may receive? Because as of now I get 0 in State return. 

Stribling7
Returning Member

I guess I should have used the help on Turbo tax.  It did give me the option to skip adding my Drivers License number. 

I just need to know if I need to ammend ?

I did pay registration fees and answered that I didnt.  

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

@MaryM428

Here is the link to the TurboTax Expected Availability dates for federal forms:

TurboTax Expected Dates of Federal Forms Availability

Here is the link to the TurboTax Expected Availability dates for state forms:

TurboTax Expected State Forms Availability Dates

You cannot amend a return until they have finished processing that return at the state or the federal level.  once they have informed you that the processing is complete, then you can prepare your amended and the forms should be available by then, too.

If the return you completed had you using the standard deduction then you need to determine how far you were from itemizing deductions.  If the amount of auto registration was at least that much and would make the difference in your refund, then you can amend your return once it has been processed.  If the amount of auto registration was not as much as the difference between the current amount of itemized deductions in your current return and the standard deduction then there is no reason to amend to add the additional itemized deductions that still won't make a difference.

siff64

Thank you, and I will need your help in completing the form, due to the mistake I made on a 1099R that should not have been filed on 2020 return. ... I need to return to the IRS a refund of 1093.00 that I should not have gotten.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Good News, TurboTax will you to amend your 2020 free.  It is a very easy process.

First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2020 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.

When you're ready to amend, find your situation below and follow the instructions.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sandi5

I received my returns for my Federal and state taxes.  I need to amend my returns. I submitted the wrong  returns.  My refunds were $3,259 Federal {should be $1,386}; $990 State  {should have been $136}.  How do I amend my returns? What form do I use to amend and return monies owed? Can I e-file my correct returms or do I have to mail the corrected rreturns?

Thank you.

Artie R. Brown

[social security number removed]

DawnC
Expert Alumni

A most important issue here is please do not post private and personal information here.  We removed what appeared to be an SSN, but remember this is a public forum that anyone can access so please be careful.  

Here are the instructions for completing amended returns in TurboTax.   2020 amended tax returns can be e-filed to the IRS, but most state amendments will need to be filed by mail.   TurboTax will give you full instructions if you need to mail your amended state returns.   @Sandi5

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why it taking so long for us to be able to amend. Federal states 1040-X is ready but yet when I go amend your system says I can't 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies