Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Amending 2020 Federal and State returns

My taxes where processed and I just received my return but am still not able to amend through your website, why?

@vbradley0503 wrote:

Why it taking so long for us to be able to amend. Federal states 1040-X is ready but yet when I go amend your system says I can't 

The Form 1040-X is available for amending a 2020 federal tax return.  But it depends on why you are amending since the IRS is still updating guidance on amending a 2020 tax return due to the American Protection Act.

Why are you amending the 2020 federal tax return?

If you are amending for the unemployment compensation exclusion, see this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

If you are amending from the Premium Tax Credit adjustment, see this IRS website for their statement - https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/the-premium-tax-credit-the-basics

I filed and then was sent a updated duplicate unemployment form. Upon coming back into TurboTax I noticed a different amount, like higher amount, than when I filed. This is why I need to amend taxes to make sure I get the money owed to me. 

My taxes were submitted, accepted and I received my return over a month ago and am still waiting to amend my taxes. By accident I filed as a dependent and would like to change it to be independent since no one claimed me but am still not able. This has nothing to do with the unemployment issues the IRS is having right now so when will I be able to amend my 2020 tax return??

I had to amend my (accepted) federal and state returns due to a late arriving correction from my broker.  I followed the instructions and made the changed in my federal return and TurboTax let me efile the amended federal reutrn.  However, I do not see a way to efile the Maryland state return.  Is this possible or do I need to print and mail and amended state return.

Thanks

You can only e-file an amendment for certain states.  You can if it's for Georgia, Michigan, New York, or Vermont. Amended returns for all other states must be paper-filed.

When you print the amended return to mail, the first page is a cover sheet with directions on what to include with the return, and the address to mail it.  Do not forget to date and sign the return, otherwise it may be sent back to you for a signature.

MarkD12
Returning Member

All, a word of caution if your originally submitted return included Federal unemployment income.  The TurboTax software updates automatically (without a prompt or notification) remove this income based on the March 11, 2021 American Rescue Plan Act.  So if you are doing an amended return on a return submitted after the March 11 changes, and you originally included unemployment income, the TurboTax software may automatically reduce this income from your adjusted gross income (AGI).  This would have an impact on the Net Change calculation in Form 1040-X.

So then when things changed for the $10,200.00 forgivable unemployment they will return the taxes taken out? 

I had taxes taken out of every unemployment I collected and had received a new unemployment form. Upon filling and then they changed that they where forgiving the $10,200.00 I should have received more back then meaning I should be repaid the taxes I had taken out. I also had state taken out in which the state I live in will not refund me the taxes and there for the taxes need to be amended 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Once the unemployment commission takes out federal and state taxes they can't give them back to you because they have already sent them on to the taxing authority.  If you entered the taxes withheld when you entered your 1099-G, you received credit for those amounts and they were applied to any taxes calculated on the return.  There is no need to amend returns for this.

@vbradley0503

helviaboricua
Returning Member

Haven't received the incorrect tax Refund!

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Can you please clarify what your question is so we can assist you?

You indicated your did not receive the incorrect tax refund.  Was this related to unemployment income?

If so, please see the link below for more information from the IRS in regards to tax returns that were processed with unemployment income that were affected by the American Rescue Plan.  The IRS will automatically be issuing refunds starting in May to those whose returns were affected by this change.

IRS recalculation of taxes on unemployment benefits

Unemployment claimed on returns already filed

Unemployment income relief updates

@helviaboricua

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply.  No - my change is NOT related to unemployment income.

I think that I have resolved the issue based on information which I have read in this forum.

No need to proceed further at this time.

I had a similar situation and amended my federal and state tax using Turbo tax.  The Federal Tax was electronically filed and method of payment made.  However, I did not have the option of electronically filing my amended state.  Do I have to mail my amended Virginia State Tax ?  How do I tell if Turbo Tax filed it?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You will need to mail your amended state return in.  It cannot be electronically filed through TurboTax.

Can you electronically file your state amended return

@Shagger

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is the same problem I am running into. 

I am amending my return to remove a dependent.

I had unemployment and filed my taxes before the $10,200 became nontaxable.

When I am amending my return to remove my dependent, Turbo Tax is also amending the unemployment.  

The IRS said they will adjust the unemployment and not to amend them.  Since the IRS is going to make the correction, shouldn't the original column have the correction?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies