turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Amended Tax Return

Had to amend my tax return because I did them wrong. The IRS took $1,300 from me and still haven’t received my amended tax return. 

4 Replies

Amended Tax Return

If your amended return showed that you owed $1,300 and the amount was deducted from your account, then the amend was received.  The IRS is behind on processing returns.  If you sent a check with the return and the check was processed, then the return was received.

If you paid with a credit card or bank account and the payment has gone through, then the amended return was received.  It normally takes 16 weeks for an amend to show up on the website.  With COVID and other delays, it may take much longer.

Amended Tax Return

I think he means the 1,300 was the tax due on the original return.  

@Slg004l  amended returns normally take 16 weeks (4 months) or more to process.   But these are not normal times.  It might take 6 months or more.   

What was wrong?  Why did you need to amend?

You can track an amended refund here,    https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1



Amended Tax Return

when did you file your amended return? normally it can take 4 months to fully process and issue a refund. these are not normal times so expect the process to take months longer.  

Amended Tax Return

I called the irs last week. They told me that it will take longer than 16 weeks to process because they are so backed up. Crazy to think that it actually takes that long to analyze a tax return and issue a refund. I’ll probably won’t get it processed until around December. 

By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies