turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GaryA55
Returning Member

Amended return refund status

In March 2020 I e-filed my Federal return and had a payment due which  I scheduled to be deducted from my bank account in mid April.

I happen to open Turbo Tax on April 8, 2020 and was very surprised to see updates that then showed a substantial REFUND due. I then e-filed an amended return and it was accepted on 4/9/20.

I regularly check the status only to see the return can take "up to 16 weeks". That will bring me to7/30/20

Questions:

Will I be reimbursed the initial amount withdrawn from my account in addition to my amended refund amount

What to do if no action taken upon the 16 week time frame (which seems very long and "up to 16 weeks")

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Ok ... so you filed the amended return before the original return was fully processed and the original balance due was paid.  Once the original return is fully processed only  then will  the amended will be looked at.  Processing of the amended return usually takes about 4 months however they are now taking 6 months or more once processing finally starts so you have a long time to wait. 

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your  refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

GaryA55
Returning Member

Thank you, I already had my 1040X printed out and was able to see the initial PAYMENT vs. subsequent REFUND due.

My question/concern is with the time period. The IRS site states Refunds within 21 days, the Amended return Status states up to 16 weeks. No mention of 6 months per your reply. 

Is there a number to call to speak with a human once the 16 weeks period has ended? This is ridiculous and of course I will not receive interest yet if I paid my amount due 16 weeks (or 6 months) late, I's be assessed a late fee.

You will be lucky to see the amended return processed by Thanksgiving this year ... they are taking 6 months or more due to the reduced staffing at the IRS.  They did not change the IRS site but this is what has been reported ... some folks waited almost a year for the 2019 returns to process.     https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

Then press 4 for all other inquiries.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies