turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Daviam514

Amended 2020

I filed my 2020 taxes back January with one w2 I had from 2019 ,and I received that but  I had to amend to put my 1099g the unemployment form since I was getting taxes taken out of that back in June I filed that. It says accepted but I haven’t received any information about it. I check Irs where’s my amended return it says to call a number with a ext. I called it multiple n it says it can’t process my call and to call back. I have no idea the amount I will receive if there is any nor when will I receive it, any advice ? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Amended 2020

Wait----you did what?   You filed a 2020 tax return and used a 2019 W-2 on it?   That was all wrong.   A 2019 W-2 should have been put on a 2019 tax return.   Did you use online TurboTax and file that incorrect 2020 return using 2019 income on it?   Did you e-file?   Was the return accepted?

And then you filed an amended return to include a 1099G for unemployment received in 2020?  You did that in June 2021?   it is taking the IRS at least six months to process amended tax returns so you cannot expect results yet from that amended return.   Did you remove the incorrect 2019 income that was on that return---or did you just skip over that part?

The IRS might catch the error you made when you entered incorrect 2019 income on the 2020 return---which will likely delay processing more.   All you can do now is wait for them to process the return, and see if they correct your mistake.   If they do not correct it, you might have to amend again, but do not do that until they finish processing the amended return you sent in.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Post back at a later time when the IRS has finished with the amended return you sent them.   You will probably need more help.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Daviam514

Amended 2020

I meant to say I filed my 2019 taxes in January sorry 

Amended 2020

@Daviam514 Okay----when you filed that 2019 return did you use 2019 software?   The only way to prepare a 2019 return in January 2021 was by using downloaded desktop software on a full PC or Mac.   Is that what you did?   And then it had to be filed by mail.  E-filing for 2019 returns has been permanently closed since October 2020.

And then you say you amended a return because of unemployment.   Are you still referring to the 2019 return?   Did you receive unemployment in 2019 and forget to include it when you filed and mailed your 2019 return?  You should always wait for a tax return to be fully processed before you amend it.   It does not sound like you waited--so now you have an original 2019 return in the system and an amended 2019 return in the system.    So that would be a reason why the IRS is having trouble processing the amended return.

Or......did you do something else?  Please explain step by step what you did with your tax returns---it is quite confusing.   Tell us what software you used.   And did you file a 2020 tax return?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Daviam514

Amended 2020

Ok sorry that you confused. January 2021 I filed my 2020 taxes with a 2020 w2. But I amended my taxes in June because I didn’t put my 1099 g unemployment tax form in on my original file. All this was done through turbo tax. Turbo says the amended was accepted but I haven’t heard anything else about it. 

Amended 2020

@Daviam514 Wow....so you had your years mixed up and none of this had anything to do with 2019--only your 2020 return.   If you amended 2020 in June, you are still going to be waiting for quite awhile for the amended return to be processed.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies