Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended 2016 doesn't acknowledge pymt made with previously filed 1040

I created 2016 fed 1040 in TT to match the one I did by hand and filed by mail almost 2 years ago.  Payment of $800 was included when filed.  When finished creating 1040 in TT, I instructed it to print so I could "mail" with payment voucher, just to get everything set up with the original forms, so that I could then do an amended return which should get me a $300 refund because of something I missed.  Now the amended 1040 still shows me owing $500 instead of reflecting that I already paid $800.  Is there a place to enter the payment I made so TT reflects it on the amended form(s)?

(Feeling like it may have been easier to do this all by hand, but still need TT help with never-filed state return.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, if your payment is not on 1040X line 16 switch to Forms Mode and enter it directly on the form.

If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Ignore any vouchers like the 1040V that print out.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, if your payment is not on 1040X line 16 switch to Forms Mode and enter it directly on the form.

If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Ignore any vouchers like the 1040V that print out.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X.

VolvoGirl, you saved me again with Forms mode.  I must have just been looking at amended 1040.  Just checked line 16 and it was already there, which reinforced following your instructions in the first place.  Many thanks.

New to TT, will get better.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies