Re: Amend
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member


I found a 1099-C form from a discharged debt I failed to add to my taxes. How do I fix it?

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert


Yes, you will need to add it to your 2020 return. 


If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back. 

You'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected. 

  • If rejected, you can make any necessary changes. 

  • If accepted, you'll need to amend your return.   

  • To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.   

  • You can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return, but most states require amendments to be printed and filed by mail. 

  • Allow 16 weeks for processing. 

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending. 

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings