turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I file a "Superseded" (individial) return? Can it be filed electronically? I filed my return two weeks ago but need to change it before the tax filing deadline.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I file a "Superseded" (individial) return? Can it be filed electronically? I filed my return two weeks ago but need to change it before the tax filing deadline.

I think you mean amended.  Once your original tax return is processed 2-3 weeks, you can file an amended tax return.  There is no charge to amend with Turbo Tax if that is what you used for your original return.  BUT you have to print the amended return and mail to the IRS.  amend 2017

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I think you mean amended.  Once your original tax return is processed 2-3 weeks, you can file an amended tax return.  There is no charge to amend with Turbo Tax if that is what you used for your original return.  BUT you have to print the amended return and mail to the IRS.  amend 2017

No, I do indeed mean "Superseded" or "Superseding"

that's not possible for form 1040 Individual Tax Return. Once your original return is filed, you can add or correct information by filing Form 1040X. That's the only way. Form1040X reflects the differences between your original return and your true return.
Form 1040X becomes your new tax return.

A superseded return is different than an amended return and may be filed before the original deadline.  Supreme court decision Haggar v. Helvering.     It must be filed on original forms, noted as a superseded return, and must be received by the IRS prior to the original tax deadline.  Can't do it electronically.  

Is a 'Superseding Return" mailed to the same IRS address as an original return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies