turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pfspectrum
Returning Member

2021 taxes filed and started an amendment but no way to pay IRS

Hello everyone and good day.  I really hope someone can help me with this situation.  I would think its easy.   I filed my return in Jan 2022.  I now have started an amendment on turbotax to correct all the changes.  On my amendment it shows I am due a refund but a smaller amount than what I received on my original return.  I did receive the money from my original return, to be clear.  Now I need to pay back the difference to the IRS.  It's about $1000.  I read on Turbo tax amendments start new at $0 and is not based on the original return.  I'm trying to pay this money on Turbotax to the IRS without going to the IRS.gov.   How can I pay this money back? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The amount owed to the IRS should be shown on your amended return, Form 1040X, on Line 20.

To pay the taxes owed by check you will have to mail the amended return and include the check with the mailed return. 

Or you can pay the amount owed on the IRS payment website using Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

View solution in original post

If your tax went up due to your changes, Form 1040-X will show an "amount you owe".

If you e-File 1040-X with your bank direct debit information, IRS will take that amount quickly.

@pfspectrum 

Don't submit an incorrect 1040-X.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

The amount owed to the IRS should be shown on your amended return, Form 1040X, on Line 20.

To pay the taxes owed by check you will have to mail the amended return and include the check with the mailed return. 

Or you can pay the amount owed on the IRS payment website using Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

pfspectrum
Returning Member

On the amended return on the top left it shows I have a refund amount of $1900.  I don't believe this is the case since I already received a refund this year of $2900.  The original return was incorrect and so I corrected it with an amendment but as I proceed to checkout the learn more tab shows this;  

The additional money you owe or receive from amending your return is completely separate from your original tax return.

When amending your return in TurboTax, the refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund (or tax due based on the amendment.)

I guess now the question is does TurboTax already calculate the difference of the refund I received with the new refund amount on the amendment?  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's not clear what you are looking at. There is no refund amount at the top left of an amended return. Look at the actual Form 1040-X, not a screen in TurboTax. The refund from your original tax return should be on Form 1040-X line 18. The amount that you have to pay back - the difference between the original refund and the reduced refund - should be on Form 1040-X line 20. TurboTax does calculate the difference between the two refund amounts. That difference is what is on Form 1040-X line 20.

If you have further questions, please give specific form and line numbers and exact amounts. It can be hard to figure out what's going on if you give approximate or rounded amounts.

pfspectrum
Returning Member

Hey sorry if it sounds confusing.  As I stated in the beginning of the thread I'm using TurboTax and amending my refund which does show the refund amount on the top left.  I don't have a print out of the amended return yet since it wants me to pay for it and I'm still not confident in doing so until I know if I need to pay or how I need to pay this difference between the original and the amended return.  

Numbers don't matter in this question.  Lesser or greater matter in this question and my situation is lesser than the original.  TurboTax support has hung up on me twice trying to get this answer.  Like I stated originally, this should be easy.  Can I pay the IRS on TurboTax using efile?

If your tax went up due to your changes, Form 1040-X will show an "amount you owe".

If you e-File 1040-X with your bank direct debit information, IRS will take that amount quickly.

@pfspectrum 

Don't submit an incorrect 1040-X.

audreykey
Returning Member

I think you can now file amended returns on-line, which was not possible when I amended my 2019.  When you are filing it will probably give you the option to put your bank account in to pay what is actually owed.

pfspectrum
Returning Member

I found that answer to be correct by a few of you.  I did have to look at the print out of the 1040-x to see the original refund amount and was subtracted from the amount of the Amended refund amount.  It is very dissappointing that TurboTax couldn't tell me this during the process of the forms and doesn't mention this AT ALL even after paying.  Please look in the earlier thread I posted on "learn more" explanation TurboTax provides to the different filing amounts and what is calculated.  It is slightly contradictive and based on my experience confusing to say the least.  Thank you all for your comments.  It pushed me to just pay and read the 1040-x which gave me the answer.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You cannot use direct debit to pay the amount you owe on an amended return. You cannot pay through TurboTax or by entering your bank information in TurboTax, even if you e-file the amended return. See the post by DoninGA above for how you can pay.

@rjs 

No, you can pay with Electronic direct debit.

It is a refund that has to be mailed to you as a paper check.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies