Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 Non Filer Form Mistake

In an effort to make sure that the IRS had my direct deposit information, I filled out the Non-Filer 1040 on the IRS website, not knowing it would be accepted as my 2019 return. (I have to pay taxes every year, so the IRS did not have my direct deposit information).

So, when I went to e-file my actual 2019 return, it was rejected because there was already one on file. Is there a way to correct without filing an amended return? If not, when should I file the amended return. 

Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies

same question here.. Really needing an answer

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You shouldn't need to amend your return, but you will not be able to electronically file.  You will need to mail in your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So, I realize I did the same thing. If I have to mail in my forms can I do that with that I printed out from Turbo tax and wil I need to sign and date them?

I usually e-file so not sure what I need to do since it has been so long.

Thank you

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

As long as the forms don't have a watermark, yes you can sign those forms and file via mail.  For more information, please see below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did the same thing! Glad I’m not alone. Have you received your stimulus since you put in your direct deposit? 

No I haven’t yet, how about you? 

Mich007

I did the same thing... was just on the phone with TurboTax person and I was guided to prepare an amended tax return form, since non filer means my originally tax return form was 0. But I saw there is suggestion that no amended tax return is needed. I’m confused again. Should we mail in the normal tax return as we didn’t do the non-filer, or use 1040X to do amended tax return?

Nope 

I talked to someone at H&R Block. They told me just to send in my prepared tax forms to the IRS and all should be fine. 

hbiddle
Returning Member

I did the same thing do I file a 1040x or just

mail my tax forms but how will my spouse get hers because we file jointly and always have to pay I have since to conflicting answers help asap

hbiddle
Returning Member

Need answer from tax expert

hbiddle
Returning Member

Did you can answer I did the same but dinot get a reply

I did that also but I’ve already filed my taxes now this is delaying my stimulus due to applying for non-filer it was a mistake 

chaiwolf

I also did this and haven’t received a stimulus. I feel awful for not understanding.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies