turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carloslf

2019 downloaded tax file fails

The 2019 downloaded tax file fails to open locally in my computer:

1 - Operating System - Windows 10
2 - Browser - Microsoft Edge
3 - Online Turbo Tax - Freedom Edition
4 - Copy of Turbo Tax in computer - Deluxe

When trying to open using local copy I get an error message stating that the tax file is corrupt and that I would need to recreate it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

When trying to download the tax file in my Windows 10 laptop I get a message that the computer runs Microsoft verified apps.  To get this app you need to switch out of S mode or find a similar app in the Store.  If I try to switch out of S mode it says I can't get back in.  I checked the app store and they want to charge me $9.99 for the TurboTax viewer.  HELP.

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please contact Turbo Tax customer support for assistance. Use the following link to get started, just enter your demographic information and details about your question, then the phone number will be displayed.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Boguck1G

I am unable to open downloaded 2018 and 2019 files I can open my 2017 and 2020 file however. I cleared all my browsing data and cookies. The shortcut on the desktop will not work either.  

@Boguck1G wrote:

I am unable to open downloaded 2018 and 2019 files I can open my 2017 and 2020 file however. I cleared all my browsing data and cookies. The shortcut on the desktop will not work either.  

Which files did you download for the 2018 and 2019 tax return from your online account?

If you downloaded the tax data file which has a file type of .taxyyyy where yyyy is the tax year, ie .tax2018, those files can only be opened by the TurboTax software for the year of the tax data file.

If you downloaded the PDF of the 2018 and 2019 tax return then those files can be opened by any compatible PDF viewer, such as Adobe Reader.  The files will have a file extension of .pdf

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies