Solved: Question
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Question

I filed my taxes and claimed my son , but it looks like it’s not giving me back the money for my son . I’m confused can someone help me figure out why I’m not receiving the money I’m supposed to 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Expert Alumni

Question

If you are referring to the Child Tax Credit, your refund will not automatically include $2000 per child for child tax credits. 

Here's how it works, the credit  is used first to reduce your tax liability to zero. After that, there is a refundable portion (up to $1400) called the Additional Child Tax Credit that is calculated based on the amount of income you earned. 

The child tax credit is reduced by $50 for every $1000 over these limits:

• Married filing jointly  $400,000   
  • Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Separately or qualifying widower               $200,000.

To claim the credit you son must have lived with you the whole year and he has a social security number.  Also if your child turned 17 in 2019 you can still claim him as dependent but you will not receive the Child Tax Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Expert Alumni

Question

If you are referring to the Child Tax Credit, your refund will not automatically include $2000 per child for child tax credits. 

Here's how it works, the credit  is used first to reduce your tax liability to zero. After that, there is a refundable portion (up to $1400) called the Additional Child Tax Credit that is calculated based on the amount of income you earned. 

The child tax credit is reduced by $50 for every $1000 over these limits:

• Married filing jointly  $400,000   
  • Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Separately or qualifying widower               $200,000.

To claim the credit you son must have lived with you the whole year and he has a social security number.  Also if your child turned 17 in 2019 you can still claim him as dependent but you will not receive the Child Tax Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

v
Privacy Settings