Solved: Question

Question

I filed my taxes and claimed my son , but it looks like it’s not giving me back the money for my son . I’m confused can someone help me figure out why I’m not receiving the money I’m supposed to 

Question

If you are referring to the Child Tax Credit, your refund will not automatically include $2000 per child for child tax credits. 

Here's how it works, the credit  is used first to reduce your tax liability to zero. After that, there is a refundable portion (up to $1400) called the Additional Child Tax Credit that is calculated based on the amount of income you earned. 

The child tax credit is reduced by $50 for every $1000 over these limits:

• Married filing jointly  $400,000   
  • Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Separately or qualifying widower               $200,000.

To claim the credit you son must have lived with you the whole year and he has a social security number.  Also if your child turned 17 in 2019 you can still claim him as dependent but you will not receive the Child Tax Credit.

Question

• Married filing jointly  $400,000