turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mtick1

I filed a 104EX, but my Dad just told me that I have a Fidelity UTMA account with my name and social security number. Do i need to amend my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I filed a 104EX, but my Dad just told me that I have a Fidelity UTMA account with my name and social security number. Do i need to amend my return?

Probably, even if there wasn't a withdrawal. A UTMA account usually has income and/or capital gains and the account financial institution issues IRS 1099 forms for that income or gains. You Dad has probably been receiving those forms.

If you had enough income to be REQUIRED to file a 1040EZ, then yes you must amend. If you only filed a 1040EZ to get your withholding back, then it depends on more detail, mainly how much income was on your W-2 and 1099 forms

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Was there a withdrawal?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mtick1

I meant filed a 1040EZ and no, there was no withdrawal
mtick1

Thank you.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Probably, even if there wasn't a withdrawal. A UTMA account usually has income and/or capital gains and the account financial institution issues IRS 1099 forms for that income or gains. You Dad has probably been receiving those forms.

If you had enough income to be REQUIRED to file a 1040EZ, then yes you must amend. If you only filed a 1040EZ to get your withholding back, then it depends on more detail, mainly how much income was on your W-2 and 1099 forms

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies