Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

possible tax fraud

I just found out someone got my Driver's license number, last 4 numbers of my social security number. They also have my home address.

Any recommendations to prevent fraud would be appreciated!

4 Replies
Level 15

possible tax fraud

here are some things you can do suggested by the American Institute of CPAs

do you know if there has been any use of that information?

for the time being

Credit Agencies

1) Report the identity theft to the fraud department of one of the following reporting agencies as soon as possible. They must notify the other two agencies.

  • Equifax:
  • Experian:
  • TransUnion:

2) Request a copy of your credit report and request that only the last four digits of your Social Security number be placed on the report.

3) Close accounts that you think have been compromised or opened fraudulently.

4) Inform the credit bureaus and the credit issuers (in writing) of any fraudulent accounts and incorrect information.

5) Obtain replacement credit cards with new, secure account numbers and destroy any old cards.

6) Notify those who have received your credit report in the last six months to alert them to any disputed, fraudulent or incorrect information.

7) Confirm that an extended fraud alert (seven years) is placed on your credit report.


in reality, if they have enough info to commit fraud in your name its already been done because once you know you can file alerts and take other steps like some of those above. 

Level 15

possible tax fraud

If you think your info has been or could be used fraudulently on an income tax return :


You will want to take the following steps:

  1. (Most important) Follow the IRS procedures for reporting a fraudulent return, documented here:
  2. Monitor your credit reports through TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian for any suspicious activity.
  3. File a police report with your local law enforcement agency.
  4. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at or the FTC Identity Theft Hotline at 1-877-438-4338 or TTY 1-866-653-4261.

If your Social Security number is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, take these additional steps:

  • Respond immediately to any IRS notice; call the number provided.
  • Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. Then print and mail or fax according to the instructions. 
  • Continue to pay your taxes and file your tax return, even if you must do so by paper.

Additional Resources

The IRS has a host of useful information and resources on tax-related identity theft:

These sites can help you understand identity theft and how to protect yourself:

We're all vulnerable to this crime, but there are additional things you can do that will reduce your risk of becoming a victim.

  • If you file by mail, do it at a post office, not from an unlocked mailbox in front of your house.
  • If you file electronically, use a secure computer on a secure network.

Related Information:

Level 5

possible tax fraud

The IRS can issue you a IP PIN (identity protection pin). This number must be used to transmit the tax return. The number changes each year. You can apply at search IP PIN

You can also get a PIN number for your dependents.

Opus 17
Level 15

possible tax fraud

Specific to taxes, you can opt-in to the IP PIN program.  But that means you have to use the IP PIN every year (the IRS mails you a new one each December) and may be more inconvenience than you want to go through, unless you have already seen fraudulent activity in your accounts.


If you don't have your IRS online account set up, you should set it up so no one can set one up in your name.


You can freeze or lock your credit reports (a freeze and a lock are different)--don't forget all 3 credit bureaus.


Update any critical passwords (banks, etc) and don't re-use passwords.  Subscribe to a password manager if you need to rather than re-using passwords.  Turn two-factor authentication on for any web site where it is offered.  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings