Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

tkharmon87
Returning Member

How long does it take to recieve remainder of my refund after tax offsets are taken out

Our return was processed 2/19 (had EITC) and transcript says offset will be paid 3/5, along with a letter sent out by mail.  IRS agent said refund will be deposited before 3/12. It's been a long waiting game...
lirobbins

How long does it take to recieve remainder of my refund after tax offsets are taken out

I also have an offset(only owe irs) i called yesterday and they said there was a delay in their system thats why it's taking long to get the remainding balance the guy said if i dont receive it by the 23rd to call the irs again and they will get me a tax advocate,this is frustrating
kash2131

I know this is so stressful. I actually been on phone with everyone today! I wish I could get my letter in mail already..
tkharmon87
Returning Member

We were told on the 20th we'd get a letter any day with offset details (2015 taxes due). Not a single letter yet.  We've even had time to order a paper 2017 transcript and receive it.  I think the agents say anything to satisfy those calling.

@lirobbins I was told the 16th.. by the 16th we’d have our money but that they didn’t have a for sure DDD.. that because of owing to the irs they had to back track and review our past returns to make sure we don’t owe anything else. They said owing the irs delays refunds because of that, yet on their website it says it doesn’t. None of the information makes sense.. but I pray I have some news this weekend and my money by next week! Ours was finished processing since the 12th!! Waiting to be released since then

Update!!! No change on WMR.. but pending deposit since early afternoon in our bank!
tramaras

@kash2131 have you recieved the remainder yet still waiting on this end
kash2131

No.. Still waiting :( so stressful!!!
tea_tito

My WMR says my check was mailed 30th if March BUT i had an offset (which they already took from state) So now when i call to look for my check they say because of offset remaining balance wont be mailed until April 9th

I wonder if it will be the same process. I owe for unemployment overpayment in another state. I hope I don't have to wait until March, but reading the post from you guys I probably will.
muzy1121

tammygad84 I have the same kind of offset. Keep me updated if you can if you happen toget back on this site. Does your wmr still say proccessing by chance or is the path act message bc mine says proccessing still so I think its gonna be delayed

Yes I did mine a few days ago and it still says processing. I have researched a bit more and found out that if you have dependents the processing message is not going to change until the 15th.
muzy1121

No it will. It always does the last 3 years it has for me with my dependents it updates to where it says the path act message that says it wont be updated until mid febuary and the processing bars completly go away. My gfs and brothers have both updated to the path message and bar went away. And mine still days proccessing and i filed before them. Technically they dont start processong them until the 15th of February or so of you have earned income or child taxcredit. But usually it updates to that message. Idk will see. Ive resd where peopke say an offset doesnt delay it at all and others says it takes a couple months and they never say ifthey ended up getting itbut im sure they did ortheyd be commenting saying they never did. But keep me updated as you go as we are inthe same exact boat. So you had dependents too then?

yes I have dependents listed too. The longest wait I seen for a offset was for child support, on another thread. I dunno if it is the same wait time for unemployment. Not to many people post about the UI offset and how long it took to get there's back. Hopefully not too long. Fingers Crossed
muzy1121

Yeah i talked to my state the other day and they said the irs just sends them the money and they dont send them the whole refund like chikd support. So hopefully not. Let me know if your wheres mt refund ever updates too the path message.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies