Solved: On an amended return, is the tax due calculated as...

On an amended return, is the tax due calculated as the difference of the original filing? Or do I need to return my refund and add the tax due?

For example, Lets say I got a $500 refund, but the amended return says I owe $100.  Do I need to send in $100 or $600?

You keep your refund, on the amended it calculates what you have received for a refund, then calculates what you entered to come up with taxes owed or an additional refund.  You would owe the $100 on the amended return.

With that being said, if you are referring to amending a 2020 tax return (filed in 2021), you cannot amend a 2020 right now.  

You cannot change or amend a return that has already been filed.  Your return will show pending until the IRS opens up their e-file system (Feb 12th).  Your return will stay on TurboTax servers until the IRS is accepting returns.  You cannot get it back, & do not make any changes to your return.  The changes would not go through. 

To make any changes to your return,  you will have to wait until your return gets accepted or rejected.  

If your return gets rejected, you can just make the changes you need to do, then you can e-file your return again.  

If your return gets accepted, then once your original return is fully processed, you would have to amend your return to make changes.