turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jadtheo

I missed the earned income credit by $157. Is there anything that can be done so I can still receive it? I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I missed the earned income credit by $157. Is there anything that can be done so I can still receive it? I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thank you.

Not likely- the point of using Turbo Tax is to allow the program to maximize your refund. Go through all the deductions to ensure that everything is accounted for. However, deductions won't make your earned income go down.

Keep this in mind-

If your income was $157 less, your Earned Income Credit would be $1. Unless this is an issue of having too much investment income, you aren't losing out on big money by going over by $157.

The credit at the phase-out point is practically nothing, so your income would need to be much less to get something meaningful from the EIC.

Is your income coming from a W2 or other tax forms? If so, there's not much you can do.

If you are self-employed, ensure that you have taken all of your deductions.

Before you file, look at your return and make sense of it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Not likely- the point of using Turbo Tax is to allow the program to maximize your refund. Go through all the deductions to ensure that everything is accounted for. However, deductions won't make your earned income go down.

Keep this in mind-

If your income was $157 less, your Earned Income Credit would be $1. Unless this is an issue of having too much investment income, you aren't losing out on big money by going over by $157.

The credit at the phase-out point is practically nothing, so your income would need to be much less to get something meaningful from the EIC.

Is your income coming from a W2 or other tax forms? If so, there's not much you can do.

If you are self-employed, ensure that you have taken all of your deductions.

Before you file, look at your return and make sense of it.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies