turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rycox1

Can I file for 2 yrs if I found my w-2from 2016

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No. You must file (or amend) 2016.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No. You must file (or amend) 2016.

You cannot put a 2016 W-2 on your 2017 tax return.  Each tax year must be prepared and filed separately.  You have one of two possible situations:

You did not file a 2016 tax return and now you need to prepare and file it.   If you need to prepare a return for 2014, 2015, or 2016 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You filed a 2016 tax return and forgot to enter a W-2.  If that is it, then you need to amend your 2016 tax return to include it.  That income was reported to the IRS.

To amend a 2016 return that you filed:

To learn more about amending your tax return, please review the information in the following link.https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend-my-tax-return

Click or tap a tax year for specific amending instructions.

Related Information:

·         What does it mean to "amend" a return?

·         Do I Need to Amend my Tax Return?

·         Will amending delay my original tax refund?

·         What is the deadline for filing an amended return?

·         Can I e-file my 1040X to amend my return?

Either one of these situations means you will have to print sign and mail a 2016 return to the IRS.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You cannot put a 2016 W-2 on your 2017 tax return.  Each tax year must be prepared and filed separately.  You have one of two possible situations:

You did not file a 2016 tax return and now you need to prepare and file it.   If you need to prepare a return for 2014, 2015, or 2016 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You filed a 2016 tax return and forgot to enter a W-2.  If that is it, then you need to amend your 2016 tax return to include it.  That income was reported to the IRS.

To amend a 2016 return that you filed:

To learn more about amending your tax return, please review the information in the following link.https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend-my-tax-return

Click or tap a tax year for specific amending instructions.

Related Information:

·         What does it mean to "amend" a return?

·         Do I Need to Amend my Tax Return?

·         Will amending delay my original tax refund?

·         What is the deadline for filing an amended return?

·         Can I e-file my 1040X to amend my return?

Either one of these situations means you will have to print sign and mail a 2016 return to the IRS.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies