turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kdnkids

How can I amend a return done on a 1040EZ form to using a 1040 form? I am a college student and need to fill out box 6a which is not on the EZ form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I amend a return done on a 1040EZ form to using a 1040 form? I am a college student and need to fill out box 6a which is not on the EZ form.

No matter what form you file, they all have the check box for your own exemption.

the Form 1040X works, regardless of which variation of 1040 you used.

When sending Form 1040X, do not include your old 1040 (1040A) nor your revised 1040 (1040A) because the Form 1040X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

No matter what form you file, they all have the check box for your own exemption.

the Form 1040X works, regardless of which variation of 1040 you used.

When sending Form 1040X, do not include your old 1040 (1040A) nor your revised 1040 (1040A) because the Form 1040X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

kdnkids

this answer did not help.  My federal form keeps getting rejected.
AmyW

If your tax return was rejected, there is no need to complete an amended tax return. Go back into your personal info section and click Someone can claim me as a dependent and re-file.
AmyW

First, be sure your parents are allowed to claim you.  The fact that you lived in their home is not necessarily enough for them to claim you as a dependent.  
  • In order to be their qualifying child, you must be unmarried and a US citizen, and meet the following requirements:
  • You must be under age 19 or a full-time student under the age of 24.
  • You must live with them more than half the year. (Time spent away at school qualifies as living with them.)
  • You must not provide more than half your own support.  
  • You must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer with higher priority under IRS tiebreaker rules.
If you do not meet those requirements, they may still be able to claim you as a qualifying relative if these requirements are met: 
  • You must be unmarried (or if married, not file a joint return).
  • You must be a U.S. citizen.
  • You are not the qualifying child of anyone else.
  • You must either live with the taxpayer as a member of the household all year -or- be related to the taxpayer.
  • You must have gross income less than $4,050.  
  • They must provide more than half your support during the year.
If you qualify as their dependent under either set of rules above, you can amend following the instructions below. When amending, the box Someone can claim me as a dependent will need to be clicked so that your parents can claim the exemption. To file an amended tax return, follow the steps below: 

Amended tax returns must be filed by mail and can take up to 16 weeks to be processed by the IRS.

You can check the status of your amended return by clicking the link below:

To resolve your parent's tax return, they will be unable to e-file so they will want to print, sign, and mail your tax return. If they would prefer to wait, then she could file for an extension and e-file once her amended tax return has been processed  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies