turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need Help on this matter

We filed our 2019 taxes by mailing in December 2020. It was never received. for 2019 we owe taxes and I am sure by now penalties.  We filed our 2020 return in February and was accepted on 2/13/2021. We Ordered our transcript a week or so ago and saw the Code 570 and a Notice code on our account. Yesterday we received a letter stating they never received our 2019 taxes and that our 2020 refund is being held until we file. they gave us 10 days to send in a letter and mail a new return. I cannot speak with anyone so I called H&R Block and she was very helpful. She advised me to mail the return and a letter to the department listed on the letter we received and hopefully they will receive it in time. We do not owe but a couple of hundred dollars so they will probably deduct it from our 2020 return which is fine. here is the question I have, with the 3rd stimulus they are about to pass, we will still receive it since they have received our 2020 return and our DD info is listed and we are eligible?  or will the hold on our funds delay the deposit of the 3rd stimulus as well? Please help if possible.

Thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Need Help on this matter

The third stimulus bill is not law yet so implementation has not been worked out.  However, if the last round of stimulus and the Recovery Rebate give any clues it is that the stimulus payments will not be used to offset any debts.  

Additionally, it appears 2020 tax return information will be used if it is available.  Since the IRS has your direct deposit information, as in the past, it will be used for stimulus payments.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Need Help on this matter

Not quite what I was asking. Our 2020  has a hold on it.  our 2019 has not processed so what I am asking if out 2020 is on hold will we be able to get our 3rd stimulus this year and not have to claim it next year? Does this make sense? 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Need Help on this matter

It depends.

As mentioned by DMarkM1 above, assuming the 3rd stimulus payment uses the same criteria as the 2nd stimulus payments, it would not be used to offset any existing tax liabilities.  

We have not been given any direction on how the 3rd stimulus payment would affect the filing of the 2021 income tax returns at this point so it is not possible to answer your question about claiming it this year.  

Also, as the 3rd stimulus is not official yet, none of these scenarios are set in stone.  Until the stimulus payment becomes official, things could still change.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies