I had the same situation and I called the IRS. They told me to simply take a credit on my 2020 tax filing. In essence, the stimulus check should have been for both of us. My wife received a debit card for $600 and I did not get anything. When I completed the taxes, the question is did you receive $1,200. I answered no and was asked to input the amount received and I received a $600 credit against my 2020 tax liability. The payment was an advance against the $1,200 tax credit and since we received $600, I received the $600 balance as a credit against my tax liability.
If you did not receive second stimulus payment , you can claim it on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit.
In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:
- Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
- Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
- On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
- Follow the interview
- TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
- Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"