dubiera95

My unemployment refund was only $84 and I know I should’ve gotten over $1k. Should I amend?

I estimated my refund to be at least $1500.

If you have filed early before the exclusion, the IRS will recalculate your return for the new 10,200 unemployment exemption for you. There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return.

Just keep waiting.  The IRS is sending them out in batches over the summer.

See IRS article May 14, 2021

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

Did you actually recalculate  the return or just guessed ?   Did you compare the original return with the amended one ?  If so what exactly changed ? 

dubiera95

I filed early and received a deposit today for that amount but I paid almost 2k in taxes on the first 10,200 so I should be getting way more than $84. I figured if I amended my tax return then I would get  the correct amount back. @VolvoGirl 

dubiera95

I recalculated exactly what I paid in taxes on the first 10,200. And my recalculation is about 1.5k more than the deposit I received this morning. 

Did you get the original $84 refund?  The new deposit could be for the recalculated unemployment refund or for the new 3rd Stimulus check ($1,400 each person) or even for something else.