Solved: My son last name is spelled wrong on my tax returns that I have already submitted

My son last name is spelled wrong on my tax returns that I have already submitted

If your son's last name is spelled wrong on your tax returns that you have already submitted, the IRS may Reject your return.  The IRS matches the first four letters of the last name with the Social Security Number; therefore, your return will only reject if the first four letters of your son's last name are incorrect.

If you receive an email from TurboTax that your return has been rejected, you will simply need to login to your return, correct the spelling of your son's last name, and then resubmit your returns.

You can also track your status here:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/wheres-my-refund/.

[Edited 01.28.2019|10:54 AM]

[Edited 01.28.2019|10:54 AM]

Actually, it MAY reject but it may not.  If it does then do what RachelW said.  If the return is accepted then do nothing.  But when you do next year's taxes, fix the incorrect carryover before submitting.

Thanks. I didn’t realize that autocorrect changed one letter in his name..

@mrsdrea26 Please see edited answer above.

Well his name only has 4 letters so I will wait until they rejected it.. I hate that I didn’t see that before it happened. I double checked everything in some how it still didn’t save his name correctly

I just noticed like three Fay’s who the first five letters are correct so I hope it’s no problem. Does it matter if I put Jr. or not on the return

Yes, you need to include Jr if that is on his social security card.

Dang I hope they don’t audit me