Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My PA return stayed at 0 the whole time. never asked for me to provide direct deposit account and line 48 is empty on my 1040A form Is empty. I’m not getting a refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My PA return stayed at 0 the whole time. never asked for me to provide direct deposit account and line 48 is empty on my 1040A form Is empty. I’m not getting a refund?

It's actually pretty normal for PA taxes to come out with a zero refund or balance due.  PA has a relatively low state tax rate (3.07%), but the state does not have many adjustments or deductions from income available to taxpayers or credits.  This results in your W2 withholding generally being pretty accurate and you don't get a refund but also don't owe.

For your federal, check lines 47 (the amount you overpaid) and line 49 (amount applied to your 2018 estimated tax).  If you are showing a refund on line 47 and then that amount on line 49, its possible you may have selected the option to apply your refund to your next year's tax bill.  I will give you instructions now on how to fix that.  If that isn't the case, check the rest of your return to see if it looks like you may have forgotten to put your withholding or made an entry mistake somewhere. 

To fix the federal issue (if that is what is showing on your return) - (see screenshot below)

• Choose Federal Taxes
  • Select Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Additional Tax Payments
  • Select Apply Refund to Next Year
  • Proceed through the prompts and make sure you indicate No to applying to next year and that you want to receive your refund this year.

Hi, both lines 47,48,and 49 are empty. I received a tax return last year and Everything is the same as last war with the only difference I made more money this year. It’s my first time filing my taxes online by myself and I’m afraid I made a mistake somewhere. My taxes are already submitted and where accepted... is there anything I can do to check that the information is correct?

Do you possibly owe taxes?  Check line 50 - its possible if you made more money this year, you may not have had enough withholding and you might owe taxes instead of getting a refund.  Also, if you can get a copy of your 2016 return, then the best thing to do is to compare them side by side and then it becomes easier to tell where the differences are so can narrow down what may have happened (and if it's correct or a mistake)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies