Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband and I are filing jointly for the first time. In 2022, he filed with standard deductions and I filled itemized. How do we note that on our 2023 return?

We have to fill in info about our 2022 state return amounts. Do we add the amounts together? There is only the option to check one or the other (standard or itemized).
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

My husband and I are filing jointly for the first time. In 2022, he filed with standard deductions and I filled itemized. How do we note that on our 2023 return?

You do not need to note that on your return.  You will select that you itemized your return, and then if you received a refund from the state, you will include ONLY YOUR refund amount as income.  So if you both received refunds and both received 1099-G's for the refunds, do not enter his.  You were the only one that received a deduction for the taxes, so yours is the only one that would be taxable.

If you are asking these questions for a state return you are working on, please let me know which state it is as the laws vary by state. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much! This is for a state return in Oregon.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies