turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Georgia state tax return was accepted and paid, but now months later a receive a notice by mail from GDR saying I owe more taxes. Why is TurboTax not showing this?

If the department of revenue was not satisfied with the amount I paid through TurboTax, why would they accept my tax return in the first place? Why would they send me this notice months later by mail with no information about why I owe more? They are charging me interest but offer no explanation on why I owe money, and their website is down so I can't even pay it to stop the interest from accumulating.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My Georgia state tax return was accepted and paid, but now months later a receive a notice by mail from GDR saying I owe more taxes. Why is TurboTax not showing this?

If the department of revenue was not satisfied with the amount I paid through TurboTax, why would they accept my tax return in the first place?  That is not how it works ... the accept the return for processing and once they processed the return the penalty/interest is issued.

Why would they send me this notice months later by mail with no information about why I owe more?  The bill should have an explanation. They can charge you interest if you did not pay enough timely.

They are charging me interest but offer no explanation on why I owe money, and their website is down so I can't even pay it to stop the interest from accumulating.  Try again tomorrow or Monday... often systems are updated over holiday weekends.

ACCEPTED only means the tax return is in their hands  (filed).

They have to review it and that takes time.

@charlestbond 

Neither the IRS nor the state notifies TT when they change a taxpayer's return.

Manage cookies