Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Brat769
Returning Member

My federal refund

I filed my taxes using your service I still haven't received my federal refund I received a letter saying they need to verify my identity but Everytime I try going to idverify.irs.gov to do the idverifecation an error always happens or it says the information doesn't match then it locks me out for 24 hours I need help what do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

My federal refund

Did you receive a 5071C letter from the IRS?  If so, was there also a phone contact number in your letter to speak to someone at the IRS to ID verify by phone?

That IRS website you mentioned also has the following info.  Be sure you have the following documents handy when you phone them.

"Alternatives to the Identity Verification Service"

"If you are unable to register for this online service, please contact us (the IRS) using the toll-free number listed on your 5071C letter.

To expedite the process when calling, you MUST have the following:

• the 5071C letter and the income tax return (form 1040, 1040-PR, 1040-PR, 1040-NR, etc.) for the year shown in the letter 
  • any prior year income tax return (form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040-PR, 1040-NR, etc.)
  • and any supporting W-2’s, 1099’s, Schedule C, Schedule F, etc.
    • Note: A Form W-2 or 1099 is not an income tax return

"If we (the IRS) are unable to verify your identity over the phone, we may ask you to schedule an appointment at your local IRS office to verify your identity in person."

Brat769
Returning Member

My federal refund

Um yeah I can't find the information for my last year's tax return so in other words I'm screwed as far as my freaking return cause I finally got to the part of the web sight where it ask for the last 8 digits of a credit card I put in the last 8 of my Walmart money card which is the same as a bank account & is a visa thus serves as a credit & debit card both but it won't except it it's the only credit card I have.

My federal refund

"my ...money card which is the same as a bank account"

If the IDverify process specifically asks for a "credit card", I don't know if a prepaid debit card would qualify or not.

Speak to a live agent at the IRS and ask them what you are supposed to do in your circumstance.    Or are you in a city with a local IRS office?

Try the phone number in your IRS letter.   If you can't reach a live agent with a phone number in your IRS letter, here's another way to reach a live agent at the IRS, and I'll also leave info on reaching the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service.

800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • At that point it may ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal" then you should be transferred.

I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you don't get good info/results from the IRS, you can contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate for your area.   They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

My federal refund

@Brat769 

You also wrote:  "I can't find the information for my last year's tax return."

Why is that?   How was your 2017 return prepared?  If it was prepared in Online TurboTax, we can tell you how to get it.

Brat769
Returning Member

My federal refund

My friend did it I thought she had used h & r block but I went on their sight & actually found it & when I was checking it out to make sure it was the correct one somek of error happened & I couldn't get it back up again instead the sight kept to go through like was being filed again so I left the sight so I was never able to confirm weather or not it was the right return or not.

My federal refund

Can't you just ask the friend where/how it was prepared?

If the 2017 return was prepared through H&R Block, then we can't help you obtain an H&R Block return.  You would need to talk to H&R Block's Customer Support.

If it was prepared in TurboTax, however, or if you think it might have been, we can tell you how to look for the account with the return.

If you can't obtain a prior-year return or otherwise have problems verifying, you'll have to talk to someone at the IRS to see what you need to do to complete the IDverify process, and contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service if you have any trouble.    I left you info above on how to contact both.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies