Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My fed tax return could not be filed in April bc of a mistake which wouldn't let me to claim my adult child. I filed an extension. I am ready to file now, how to proceed?

My adult daughter, who was a student during 2023, mistakenly forgot to check the box on her taxes which would allow someone else to claim her. We figured this out when I was filing my own taxes. I was out of time and chose to file an extension on my federal return. I am now ready to file my taxes for 2023 but do not know how to make that work on this site. I printed my return but never mailed it in because I filed the extension on the federal IRS site.  Does anyone know how I can electronically file my federal taxes on turbotax site now?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My fed tax return could not be filed in April bc of a mistake which wouldn't let me to claim my adult child. I filed an extension. I am ready to file now, how to proceed?

Since your daughter filed a federal tax return indicating she was not a dependent, the IRS will not let you e-file your 2023 tax return if you are claiming her as a dependent on your tax return since they have already received a tax return with her Social Security number.

You will have to mail your 2023 tax return.  You need to print, sign, date and mail the 2023 return to the IRS.  You need to include all forms W-2 and 1099 with the return which have federal taxes withheld.

Go to this IRS website for the address to mail, by state. with or without a tax payment - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

FYI - - you didn’t have to wait to file since you need to mail in your return.  Do you have a refund or tax due?  If you have a tax due it still needed to be paid on time by April 15 even if you got an extension to file.  

She needs to Amend her return, did she?  Even if she amended you still have to mail yours.   Amending won’t release her ssn.  Once a ssn has been filed you can’t efile it again.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies