turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nozzz30

My bank sent my refund back

When will the IRS send me a paper check?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies

Some more info is needed.    Was the refund coming directly from the IRS to your bank?

Or did you have any TurboTax fees that you chose to pay out of your Federal refund?   If you used that method to pay fees, an intermediary bank is involved where the fees are subtracted.    So if the final deposit to your bank failed, it would go back to the intermediary bank--not the IRS, and the intermediary company would be the one sending you a check in the mail.
nozzz30

Yes the turbo tax fees were to be deducted from my return. I know the return got to my bank, but my bank said they sent it back to the IRS bcuz DD wasn’t available ... so I was curious what happens next and how long will it take now to get the refund via snail mail ... thanks

You said you chose to deduct fees from your refund.    In that case, your bank does not receive any deposit from the IRS.   If the funds arrived at your bank, they would have come from the intermediary bank where the fees are subtracted.  That would be either Civista Bank or Green Dot Bank.   I'll tell you how to log into the intermediary company in an answer below, where you should be able to check on the funds.  You can also phone them during the day,

I don't know how long it would take to get your check.  It will depend on whether the intermediary company can process it right away, or whether they will require you to verify your identity first.
nozzz30

Actually I was wrong ... I actually already paid my tax prep fees directly to Turbo Tax via debt card ... so the amount WILL NOT be deducted from my return.

In this case the DD my bank received should have been from the IRS ... so now that my bank rejected the DD and sent it back to the IRS what will happen and how long is the wait to receive a paper check? Thanks.

If your bank rejected the deposit and sent it back to the IRS, then if things go smoothly at the IRS, it will probably take 2-3 weeks for you to receive a check, but no one can answer that for sure.  If you're lucky, it might not take that long.
nozzz30

Okay great ... thank you.

My bank rejected it 3 weeks ago irs still haven't received it back

@toripichcuskie
Who did it go back to?   Did you pay any fees out of the Federal return?  If you paid fees out of the Federal refund, then the deposit was from the intermediary bank, and if that deposit failed, then it would have been sent back to the intermediary bank, who will issue you a check in the mail.  The answer below tells how to check on it in that case.

Or did you not have any fees paid of the Federal refund?  In that case, a failed deposit will go back to the IRS, who will issue you a check in the mail.

My bank rejected it so sbtpg has it they said 10-20 weeks to get back to me irs has nothing from them my wmr say reference 1502

They didn't give me an opportunity to verify ID just back to irs there reason was suspicious activity but my bank said info didn't match. My middle initial was missing

So did you pay your TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund,and therefore SBTPG is involved?   And the deposit from SBTPG to your bank failed, and it went back to SBTPG?   And what is happening now?   Is SBTPG going to send it back to the IRS?  You may have to phone them to ask them when it should be back at the IRS.

I don't know what a WMR "Reference 1502" is.  Perhaps you can search on it.

If you chose to pay your TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund, your funds will first go from the IRS to a temporary account at an intermediary bank--either Civista Bank of Sandusky, Ohio, or Green Dot Bank.  At the intermediary bank the fees are subtracted, then the rest of your funds are sent on to your bank (or prepaid debit card) in a second deposit.  The company that handles that is SBTPG (Santa Barbara Tax Products Group.)

Less commonly there can be delays at the intermediary bank, and additional ID info, etc. might be required.

If for any reason the second deposit fails (the one that is actually to your bank or card), it will bounce back to SBTPG's bank who will issue you a paper check in the mail.

You can log in to your temporary account at SBTPG to see the status of your funds.

To log in, choose the taxpayer portal at:
https://www.sbtpg.com/

SBTPG has a phone contact page at the following link.   Even when they are closed, you may be able to get automated info, or you can log in as above.

https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/230084587-Contact-Information
Koenig

How do I know if I need to verify my id it says pending bank print check on the automated system and it keeps changing to the date it is each day I never received a email saying I needed to verify my id is there a way to know besides that 

Koenig

Also it shows on Sbtpg website it was sent the 27th and they took 30$ out of my refund 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies