Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2022 return was flagged for fraud, can you simply return to efileing for 2023? / Form 14039 Info

My 2022 return Was flagged for fraud, can you simply return to efileing for 2023?

And some interesting 14039 info..  I think last year they were saying you HAD to file a 14039 if you suspected fraud...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/when-to-file-an-iden[product key removed]avit

THE TT FORUM DISABLED ALL THE LINKS -- GOOGLE IT!

"In most cases of tax-related identity theft cases, there is no need to file the Form 14039 affidavit. That's because the IRS identifies a suspicious tax return based on hundreds of processing filters and pulls the suspicious return for review. The IRS will send a letter to the taxpayer and will not process the tax return until hearing back from the taxpayer.

In this situation, the taxpayer will receive Letter 5071C, which asks them to use an online tool to verify their identity and tell the IRS if they filed the return in question. A variation, Letter 4883C, asks the taxpayer to call the IRS to verify their identity and tell the IRS if they filed the return. For those who have been a victim of a data breach, they may receive Letter 5747C and be asked to verify their identity in person at a Taxpayer Assistance Center. Read more about the letters at Understanding Your 5071C LetterUnderstanding Your 5747C Letter or Understanding Your 4883C Letter. If the taxpayer receives any of these letters, there is no need to file a Form 14039. Instead, they should follow the instructions in the letter. This will provide all the information that the IRS needs.

But there are various other signs of possible tax-related identity theft:  "

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 2022 return was flagged for fraud, can you simply return to efileing for 2023? / Form 14039 Info

The taxpayer will receive a notification confirming the tax-related ID theft incident along with an assigned IP PIN for future tax-return filings. Once issued, IP PINs must be used when filing or e-filing tax returns with the IRS, including any late-filed returns for prior years being filed in the current filing season.

https://www.irs.gov/site-index-search?search=ip+pin&field_pup_historical_1=1&field_pup_historical=1 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I'm going to page @Mike9241. Check back later.

If you received a letter in 2022, what does it say?

The taxpayer will receive a notification confirming the tax-related ID theft incident along with an assigned IP PIN for future tax-return filings. Once issued, IP PINs must be used when filing or e-filing tax returns with the IRS, including any late-filed returns for prior years being filed in the current filing season.

https://www.irs.gov/site-index-search?search=ip+pin&field_pup_historical_1=1&field_pup_historical=1 

It's important to note that, once the IRS assigns an IP-pin (identity protection pin), you must use it when e-filing every year after, and the IP pin changes every year. The IRS should mail it to your address of record in December, or you can retrieve it online.

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

Without the IP pin, you can't e-file.  Even if you mail your return, processing will be delayed unless you write your IP pin in the spot next to your signature.

Also note, the IP pin is 6 digits.  You still need a 5 digit e-filing PIN or your AGI in addition to the 6 digit IP pin. 

Thank you, I filed form 14039, I have to try to find that letter.

I should have carefully saved it!  You're right.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies