turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2019 return was accepted. I legitimately claimed my adult daughter as a dependent. Can I amend to remove her as a dependent so she then file & get the $1200 stimulus?

In 2019 she made $3,800 as a freelance, which was not enough to require her filing a return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My 2019 return was accepted. I legitimately claimed my adult daughter as a dependent. Can I amend to remove her as a dependent so she then file & get the $1200 stimulus?

no you can't

the issue is whether you CAN claim her, not whether you do or not.- see the difference? 

here are the eligibility requirements...

A1.  You may be eligible to receive a Payment if you:

• Are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien;
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return;
  • Have a Social Security number (SSN) that is valid for employment (valid SSN); and
    • Exception: If either spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the taxable year, then only one spouse needs to have a valid SSN
  • Have adjusted gross income below an amount based on your filing status and the number of your qualifying children.
Hypeegrl69
Returning Member

My mom and I have the same problem. She is contributing/loaning me money to live on until I receive my disability income. I’m 50 years old. She filed and claimed me as her dependent and returns been submitted and accepted but she’s not paid anything yet. She deferred till July. At time she filed she didn’t realize this would keep me from receiving stimulus check. Can she remove me somehow someway? Me being eligible to receive that check would help us in so many ways. We don’t need to know if she can...we NEED to know if she can remove me from dependent list on her return that’s been filed and accepted?? AND IF SO, HOW TO DO IT? Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies