Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 1099-R company sent two forms this year. Can I just add the amounts together? They always just did one before and there have been no changes

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

My 1099-R company sent two forms this year. Can I just add the amounts together? They always just did one before and there have been no changes

No, you should enter each form. You can add as many forms as are needed for your situation. The only exception to this would be if the amounts were the same and you received a duplicate or there are mistakes; in either of these situations you check with the company who issued you the forms. Otherwise, you'll receive a form whenever you withdraw or move money out of a retirement plan (even if it's a transfer or rollover). These forms are submitted to the IRS as well, so you should not change them before entering.

To add your 1099-R:

1. Click Take me to my return
  2. Select the Federal Taxes tab and then click the Deductions & Credits tab below it  (If you have the blue button 'Check for more income', click it and then click 'Skip to see all income')
  3. Scroll down to the Retirement and Investments section and click the blue hyperlink Show more
  4. Click Start/Revisit next to Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions. Simple IRA contributions are traditional IRAs and entered in the software as such.
  5. If you've entered any form 1099-Rs already, you'll be at a summary screen listing the forms you've entered. If not, simply start entering one of your forms. When you've finished you'll return the summary screen and click +Add another 1099-R to enter your second form. Once finished, be sure to continue through the summary screen and you'll be asked some additional questions. The questions after each form and at the end, help the software determine if items are taxable or not.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

No, you should enter each form. You can add as many forms as are needed for your situation. The only exception to this would be if the amounts were the same and you received a duplicate or there are mistakes; in either of these situations you check with the company who issued you the forms. Otherwise, you'll receive a form whenever you withdraw or move money out of a retirement plan (even if it's a transfer or rollover). These forms are submitted to the IRS as well, so you should not change them before entering.

To add your 1099-R:

1. Click Take me to my return
  2. Select the Federal Taxes tab and then click the Deductions & Credits tab below it  (If you have the blue button 'Check for more income', click it and then click 'Skip to see all income')
  3. Scroll down to the Retirement and Investments section and click the blue hyperlink Show more
  4. Click Start/Revisit next to Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions. Simple IRA contributions are traditional IRAs and entered in the software as such.
  5. If you've entered any form 1099-Rs already, you'll be at a summary screen listing the forms you've entered. If not, simply start entering one of your forms. When you've finished you'll return the summary screen and click +Add another 1099-R to enter your second form. Once finished, be sure to continue through the summary screen and you'll be asked some additional questions. The questions after each form and at the end, help the software determine if items are taxable or not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies