turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Multiple HSA - have to enter additional 5498-SA

Hello experts,  Hope you can help me.  My employer changed the HSA administrator mid year last year, and some of my contributions went to the second HSA account.  I didnt realise the adminstrator had changed before I filed, and I didnt receive any forms from the second HSA either.  I filed my taxes based on my contributions to the first HSA only.  I only figured out that some my contributions went to the second HSA after I had filed my taxes.  I finally got access to my account on the second HSA, and I see that I have a 5498-SA on the second HSA.  I need to file that form now with an amendment.


I also had contributed to top up the *2021* balance on my first HSA, but I made that contribution in 2022.  I had forgotten to mention that contribution in my filing.  I am thinking that I can just push that contribution to the 2022 bucket, since I made that contribution in 2022, and would not have earned any income on it in 2021.


How do I go about fixing all this, and do I need to do this with a tax pro ?


Thanks in advance !

2 Replies

Multiple HSA - have to enter additional 5498-SA

please clarify. are you making the HSA contributions personally or is your employer making them by either making its own contributions for you or deducting them from your paycheck?  if it's your employer either making the contributions and/or deduction from your paycheck the amount must be reported on your W-2 code W in box 20. which carries to line 9 of form 8889. if through your employer do not duplicate by entering them as your contributions


you may have money in multiple accounts but for tax purposes, they are considered 1 account and you file only 1 8889 reporting totals.


you should have received form 5498-SA reporting contributions from each trustee.


New Member

Multiple HSA - have to enter additional 5498-SA

Thanks for responding.  This was not through the employer.  The cap-up contribution was my own.  I know that all the HSAs are counted as 1, but I never received a form from the second trustee, and only realised that the trustee was changed AFTER I had filed my taxes.  Hence my question on how I need to amend my filing, plus whether I can move the cap-up contribution to this years contribution.  Thanks for your time

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies