turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Skyemua

Mistake

I already filed and made a mistake on my social security tax amount. How can I fix it and what do I need to do? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Mistake

You will need to file an amended return (1040X) to report your missing W-2 for 2019.

You won't be able to amend your tax return until the IRS releases the 1040-X Amendment form for 2019. The IRS estimate for issuing the 1040X form is mid February.

Make sure that your 2019 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail by the IRS.

To prepare an amended return through TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mistake

Regina, thanks for the information.  The instructions you provide appear to be for persons who used TurboTax's online version.  What about for those of us who used the CD/software version?  How can we file a 1040X?

Thanks

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Mistake

To amend your return you filed using the Turbo Tax software, please follow the instructions in our FAQ here

Mistake

Hi,

I put a Social Security lump sum payment from a prior year on my 2019 return by mistake.  I had aIready claimed this lump sum on my 2017 return.  I noticed this mistake in the final check before e-filing my 2019 return.  Turbo Tax asked me a question about the SSA lump sum from a prior year that I answered incorrectly and my $360 Refund then suddenly went to Owe $1453.  My return got e-filed and I couldn't make a correction.  I tried to file an amended return in Turbo Tax 2019. but it said I have a $0 refund in the TurboTax Refund window.

How do I correct this error with the IRS and not have to pay the $1453 owed in error, and can file an amended return for the correct $360 refund?

Thanks,

Bill Shack

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Mistake

That's because on amendments, the refund/owed amount resets to $0 and the new amount reflects the additional refund or tax owed amount from the amendment.

If the return was already filed, you will need to wait until it has been processed and you have received your refund or confirmation that any tax due was paid. (If you file an amended return while your first return is being processed, it can cause extended delays for both returns)

If the IRS would reject your return for any reason, then you would be able to go in and make any necessary changes to your tax return and resubmit.

How do I fix a rejected return?

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

Amended returns can only be mailed. It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it.

You can check the status of the amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after mailing.

How do I track my amend status?

How does the refund math work on amendments?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies