Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Married File separately - do I need to wait for spouse to complete his return before I can receive my refund if I have already filed and it's been accepted?

We separated in March of 2017 - so we are filing our returns separately. Our divorce was finalized in January 2018. We are both taking itemized deductions. I have already completed and filed my return, he has not. Will I be able to get my refund in the standard amount of time? Or will the IRS need his to be completed as well before they'll approve my return? It has been accepted so far. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Married File separately - do I need to wait for spouse to complete his return before I can receive my refund if I have already filed and it's been accepted?

What state are you in?  Are you in the same state with your ex?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Minnesota. Yes.
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

No, since the returns are filed separately they would be processed separately. 

The processing of your return should not be affected by when your spouse files their return.  If the IRS finds any issues with each of the returns after they have both been filed, then you will be notified. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies