turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son forgot to put himself as a dependent on my taxes. How long does it take in order to amend everything?

Should I wait for him to amend his taxes in order to send in mine?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My son forgot to put himself as a dependent on my taxes. How long does it take in order to amend everything?

Your dependent filed a return without saying he could be claimed on your return and your return was rejected?  AFTER his return has been fully processed and he has received his refund, he has to file an amended return that says he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  Amended returns (form 1040X) have to be printed and mailed.  They cannot be e-filed; it takes the IRS a couple of months to process them.  Meanwhile, since your e-filed return has been rejected, you now have to print and mail it in to the IRS.  You will not be able to e-file.  Remember that when you mail a return, you need to include copies of your W-2, etc. with your return.

For your dependent:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-the-2016-taxes-i-filed-with-turbotax-online

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So, if my son does his form and it takes a couple of months for a recognition, will that affect my tax return if I still mail them personally and I claim him as a dependent.

Mailed returns are processed differently so claim your son and mail your return. Your son's amended return could take several months to be processed. You do not have to wait for that;  go ahead and mail yours.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

my refund wasnt rejected i just want to add my son ,i didnt know i could claim him because he lives with me
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies