Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

enon

Letter from IRS stating that I did not file 2017 taxes

Status in TurboTax is showing that e-file return was accepted, yet I got a letter from IRS 2 years later that they did not receive my tax return.  Why is that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Check your online account again and make sure it says your 2017 was accepted.

Note: If it says “Ready to Mail” or “Printed” that means YOU had to mail it yourself.  TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.

Then read the letter from the IRS again.  Does it say you did not FILE your return or that you did not PAY your tax due?  Those are not the same thing.  If they say you did not pay tax owed, your only proof is your own bank or credit card record.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Also make sure it is not the STATE that is asking ... it is common for the user to send the fed and forget the state. 

If both say accepted then simply send a signed copy of the return being requested ... sometimes they are just lost in the system and it is no ones fault.  I would also attach the Filing Postmark page showing the date the return was filed and accepted to avoid any penalties. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies