turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sdbxg01

How do I delete form 2210? This question has been answered. TT rep said there would be a fix in a couple of days so ignore my question.

I don’t understand why TurboTax is using Form 2210 for our 2018 return.

We are retired and paid estimated taxes equal to our tax liability for 2017.  We made equal payments every quarter before the due date.  Since our taxes this year were less than last year, the estimated payments we made were more than 90% of our 2018 tax liability.

The instructions for Form 2210 indicate that (a) if you pay 100% of your previous year’s tax liability or (b) 90% of the current year’s tax liability you don’t have an underpayment.  We satisfy both (a) and (b).  In addition, we got a refund because we overpaid.

So as far as I am concerned we should not be filing form 2210.  So I went to the forms, pulled up form 2210 and hit the delete form button.   TT took me back to step by step and then I went back to forms and Form 2210 was still there.  TT regenerated it.

How can I get rid of this form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I delete form 2210? This question has been answered. TT rep said there would be a fix in a couple of days so ignore my question.

If on your 2017 form you owed taxes, TurboTax appears to force Form 2210 onto your 2018 return, even if you do not owe taxes (or even have a refund).  This was the situation I had for my 2018 taxes and here is how I eventually forced the deletion of Form 2210.  These instructions are for the Windows installed version of Home & Business, although I imagine it's similar to other editions.

First, try the easy approach - switch to "Forms" view in TurboTax, search for form 2210, click to open it, and then click Delete Form (and confirm it).  Save the return and do a Print Preview to see if Form 2210 was actually deleted.  If so, you're lucky and can file.  For me, TurboTax kept automatically re-generating 2210 and including it.

The more complex approach is to be in the Step-by-Step view (not the Forms view).  Go to Personal -> Other Tax Situations -> and say Yes to review the information.  Go through the wizard until it gets to your 2017 tax liability and overwrite those entries with $0.  That will force TurboTax to think you owed no taxes in 2017.  Then switch to Forms view, find 2210, delete it, save the return and do print preview again.  My Form 2210 was gone and this point and I was able to successfully file my Federal Return and have it accepted.  Previously, it was filed but eventually rejected for not providing an explanation on 2210 (even though one was there).

ytrdfg

I am having the exact same issue as the original question. I understand how the proposed hack (enter $0 for 2017 tax liability) would work, but am wondering if there is going to be a legitimate fix to this bug (?) in TT soon. We should not be expected to enter false information into TT to get it to do our taxes properly.
sdbxg01

I just spoke with a TT representative.  They are aware of this issue and are working on it.  They anticipate it will be corrected within a few days.

I have the exact same problem for an immediate family member whose return I am preparing.  All four estimated tax payments were made on time and were based on her 2017 tax.  Since the 2018 tax is less there is an overpayment but the program generates form 2210 and the software won't let me delete the form even though there is no reason for it to be included with the return.  I am concerned that the form will only cause confusion at the I.R.S. and I am afraid they could calculate a penalty based on the form 2210 that Turbotax is forcing me to include with the e-filing.  I hope it will be corrected very soon in an update as stated by the previous commenter.
james3

I have the same problem.  I suppose I could print my Tax Return and manually take Form 2210 out then send manually send it to the IRS. I will lose my opportunity to E-file my Federal and State Forms.  Turbo Tax needs to Reimburse any payments to E-file our State returns.  This is frustrating and needs attention. TurboTax has a problem!
ok6

People!  Did you not see the notice that this is scheduled to be fixed in the update available Friday? Take a chill pill!
wyeung

Simply deleting form 2210 didn't fix the problem.  Has to take the step-by-step view to enter $0 to last year's tax liability.  Then form 2210 no longer shows up.  Just refiled it. Hope IRS accepts it this time.  Thank you so very very much.

Keep in mind that lying on your taxes is a crime!  Maybe if they come after you, you can ask them to send the TurboTax programmers to jail, since it is their bug.  
donois

Just took another look after a new Turbo Tax update, the "Federal" said "critical" but it did not correct the problems with the 2210. Taking much longer than it should.
ok6

The new estimated fix date is March 1
donois

Thanks ok6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!March 1 fix;  good news there will be a fix. 2210 fiasco form
k371

The IRS worksheet itself does not account for estimated taxes in credits - maybe the bug is because of that. In any case, need a fix.

Any update on this: was the fix released? I still see the 2210 being generated...will the fix automatically remove it or do I need to follow some steps after fix?
donois

FIX is IN: I filed my taxes successfully yesterday. First I did the latest update before my return was brought up. Form 2210 was no longer in my "forms" so apparently the fix is done. Make sure you have the latest updates and follow their instructions to manually update if for some reason the 2210 still shows. You should not need to remove it as it should no longer be there. Good Luck
k371

which version of TT? I am on TT Home and Business - the form still appears. The latest installed update shows from Feb 27: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3169946-turbotax-2018-release-notes-for-windows-personal-tax-softw...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies