turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BobbiSue0

If I failed to check the box that taxpayer was deceased prior to filing and have already efiled return do I need to amend the return?

We paid tax that was due - no refund was involved.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SeanE1

If I failed to check the box that taxpayer was deceased prior to filing and have already efiled return do I need to amend the return?

Just as long as the taxes are paid in full I see no reason why you would have to amend the tax return.  However, you may hear back from the IRS depending on how the deceased person's signature was affixed to the return. The IRS would like the word "Deceased" along with the date of death placed above the person's name on the return so that it is apparent why someone else is signing the return for that person. 

I do suggest that you contact the social security administration, (SSA) and notify them that the person has passed on. The SSA number is in the LINK below.

http://www.oprm.va.gov/docs/DeathNotificationChecklist.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SeanE1

Just as long as the taxes are paid in full I see no reason why you would have to amend the tax return.  However, you may hear back from the IRS depending on how the deceased person's signature was affixed to the return. The IRS would like the word "Deceased" along with the date of death placed above the person's name on the return so that it is apparent why someone else is signing the return for that person. 

I do suggest that you contact the social security administration, (SSA) and notify them that the person has passed on. The SSA number is in the LINK below.

http://www.oprm.va.gov/docs/DeathNotificationChecklist.pdf

BobbiSue0

SSA was notified immediately following death.  The signature was done using a code since it was efiled.  This was a careless error on my part - just went through that section of return without reading very well.
BobbiSue0

Thanks for the link to the Death Notification Checklist.  There were a couple of places that I didn't think about notifying.
SeanE1

You're very welcome and sorry for your loss!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies