Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eluviano2

What does being processed mean, i filed in January and my taxes were accepted, everything checked out, and i have no debt??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What does being processed mean, i filed in January and my taxes were accepted, everything checked out, and i have no debt??

It simply means that your e-filed return is being processed and that the government hasn't approved it yet.  

The general timeline of e-filed returns is: Transmission > Receipt/Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

Delays have been common this year.

The IRS started processing returns later than in prior years and as such has a backlog to work through. They also just recently started processing returns claiming EIC and/or ACTC.

During processing, the government reviews your refund. During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.  At that point the IRS site will update with a direct deposit date.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

It simply means that your e-filed return is being processed and that the government hasn't approved it yet.  

The general timeline of e-filed returns is: Transmission > Receipt/Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

Delays have been common this year.

The IRS started processing returns later than in prior years and as such has a backlog to work through. They also just recently started processing returns claiming EIC and/or ACTC.

During processing, the government reviews your refund. During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.  At that point the IRS site will update with a direct deposit date.

4months ago iwas able to check the status of my tax return.it was  saying still being processed     in november 2021 it  said is being processed now i cant even track the status where my refund it keep saying information does match please re enter  your information. iam enter the same info as before since 5/10/2021 when my tax return was excepted.

@ladycarter55 The IRS refund site is not showing information for 2020 refunds now.   It has switched over to the new tax year and will only be showing information for 2021 refunds.   You already know they have your 2020 return and that they have been processing it.   Now all you can do is wait for them to finish processing.  The IRS is severely backlogged, so many returns are taking much longer than normal to be processed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Ragorma

U can go to the IRS website and sign in to see ur transcript from previous years and it will tell u more about what dates u might get a deposit or refund...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies